GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO first world issue

Go down 
+8
Dave Swanson
usedtobefast
NewApriliaGuy
MalG
rick pope
sideshowbob
beetle
knumbnutz
12 posters
AuthorMessage
knumbnutz
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
knumbnutz

GRiSO first world issue Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:08 am

So Saturday was the first day in a while that our new found climate change decided to stop raining long enough that I could take the toys out of the garage.
I pumped up the tyres on the two bikes that are rideable, a V11 Cafe Sport, all resplendent in new rubber and extra carbon fibre fandangly bits and my GRiSO SE.
Flip a coin and the new acquired V11 is rolled out the door and fired up. This is its first real ride since purchased 4months ago, real being around bends and up and down mountains and such like normal riding should be rather than to single brief stint to the shop for a front tyre and roadworthy.
This time, with proper air pressure in the front tyre and tread, the bike steered beautifully and tracked over bumps, powered past cars, sounded great, ran great.. all was good with the world. .... and, if the story ended here, I wouldn't have written this post.

So after an hour of joyful riding, I get home and swap rides to the GRiSO.
I basically cover the same route I had just been on, but something was wrong, very wrong. The GRiSO sounds slightly angry, snarls when the throttle opens and when judicial use of the right hand is forgotten, it reminds you not to take riding it so lightly. I had surpassed my V11 turnaround point and had been joined by some fellow riders and my subconscious had decided that I should keep riding forth.
At the lights that signal a downhill run over the "goat track" - a single lane part of the road along a sheer cliff too narrow for a two way road, my comrades on their sport bikes and coloured cow suits gave me that look. That smug look, 180hp look. Thats when the exhaust sound turned from angry to fire breathing dragon mode.

I took off down the hill, bumpy, tight, then 500mtrs later, opening up to an undulus carving through the trees, round a set of tight 20km/hr bends, between rocky outcrops and on to the local village 10minutes later. It wasn't until I arrived at the cafe and started to walk in did the other three arrive. I stood in line and ordered the local dish, stewed beef pieces in gravy held together with pastry. People usually call it a pie, but this tasted a whole lot more than the sum of three letters deserved to taste.

I sat there, beguiled by the beast parked in front, slightly overwhelmed by oxytocin and just glad to be out of the house on such a day.

It was there that my conudrum appeared out of nowhere. I felt nothing for the V11. It was sedate compared to the GRiSO, somewhat boring even and worse still, I couldnt recall anything that it did that was better than the GRiSO. It didnt brake as well, it didnt handle as well and it certainly didnt go as well. mmmm.
I have another V11, fully customised, snorting, fun flickable, more sporty.

I looked through the ads for bikes and I just can't find anything 2nd hand that lights a fuse? I have a cruiser and carver in the GRiSO, I have something funky and different in my custom, I can't think of anytime the Cafe Sport would win out between these other two, so sell it I guess...

If you have made it this far, then I have a question. If you could get another bike, what tickles your fancy?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:36 am

What are these "other" motorcycles you speak of?

GRiSO says "no".

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
knumbnutz
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
knumbnutz

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:53 am

That is exactly the problem..
I was contemplating everything, aprilia rsv4 - too sporty, hd sportster roadster - slower crapier GRiSO, audace - too cruisy not enough sport, triumph rocket - new version looks OK old version too lardy..
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:25 am

GRiSO is always my go to bike. The rest are all expendable, and bought right so I can always get my investment back. That being said, if a Tuono came along at a bargain price I would buy it. Maybe a Brutale.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:14 pm

Have you ever ridden a Motus? Thank heavens they're no longer in business. I test rode one several months after buying the GRiSO. Big mistake. I offered to trade the CBR-XX, GRiSO, very low mile '79 CBX, nearly new Honda Shadow, and a Super Sherpa for a used demo. They said sure, pony up an additional $15,000US.

So, yes, there IS a bike I like better than the GRiSO, but not that much better.
Back to top Go down
knumbnutz
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
knumbnutz

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:56 pm

Yeah, I've seen the MOTUS but its not an option in Australia. Nor the price and a few of the other issues which has seen their demise. The concept is great though.
I'd probably consider the local version of them DrysdaleV8 first. Still... the price is a hurdle too high.

Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:08 pm

The V11 is, after all, an "updated" & re-civilised version of the proper 1100 Sport (the carbed one). Try the 1100 Sport - for its character & engagement. Otherwise, perhaps one of the early RSV Miile's (dead reliable) or the Ducati hyper motard - light, with grunt & clearance. Did a trip with one of these recently - impressive. I was on the V7, so it was "out of sight" most of the time.
Back to top Go down
NewApriliaGuy
Carlotto
Carlotto
NewApriliaGuy

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:57 pm

Trying to decide on what would be an appropriate next companion for the GRiSO right now (as upgrade from Shiver 750). Thoughts are one of the following, in order:

Tuono - but more power than I really need or want
Street Triple 765 RS - but not sold on triples, also no lean sensitive TC/ABS (since I’m going sporty)
Speed Triple RS - but might be bigger/beefier than I really want, also not sold on triples
Streetfighter 848 - but lacks modern electronics and has weird rear tire size
Monster 1200S - but feeling like it won’t be sufficiently sportier than the GRiSO to be worth it

Thinking the Streetfighter V2 will be perfect but oh so pricey and wishing Aprilia had put some guts in the upcoming midsize Tuono (120+ area HP).

Also hoping for an updated GRiSO with modern electronics and at least 1200 8V power profile.
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:13 am

I feel the other bikes in the garage need to compliment the GRiSO, not compete with the GRiSO.

So I have a Quota! Shocked Comfortable, easy going Moto Guzzi. But I can't really trust it for long multi day trips ... so ...

I have a 2018 V-Strom 1000. Comfortable, reliable, nice motor, handles well, great for multi day trips on smallest of backroads. Mechanic'ing on the Vee is oil & filter changes and oiling the chain.

My V7 iii Racer was my first Moto Guzzi and it is just too pretty to sell.

So basically match bike to mood/desire of the day. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dave Swanson
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave Swanson

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:10 pm

I have a similar situation, but it causes me no grief because I like them both and I am a Guzzi hoarder!

Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:30 pm

I enjoy a run on this old uncivilized sport once and a while. The straight cut gears and the mistrals sing a good song.
Back to top Go down
Ulf
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Ulf

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:00 am

Pata Negra is a black-06 1100 GRiSO with Beetle Map, Mistral High side, db-killer drilled a little. Man, it is sweet, fueling is spot on and drives a dream. I used to run a 1100 sport-i, that bike oozed of character, but required constant flogging to perform and had some Italian "issues" ..but when set up properly it was a real hoot, the sound it made was even sweeter...but the GRiSO is just so beautiful and handles a lot better, the upright riding position suits/forgives some of that middle age spread that has appeared...i looked closely at a Ducati SS  1000 Senna edition, that could be a 2nd bike for me, big torquey air-cooled motor in that grey/red combo,  & those looks...
Back to top Go down
Spruce Goose
Carlotto
Carlotto
Spruce Goose

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:35 pm

Dorsoduro, or perhaps (egads!) a new Africa Twin would complement the constant hooning the GRiSO encourages. And I’m not even really thinking about another bike the GRiSO is all I need!! I’ve done multi-day road trips on her with no issues.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:19 am

beetle wrote:

What are these "other" motorcycles you speak of?

GRiSO says "no".

Here is what did it for me....

As I discovered the other day, noting can replace or substitute the GRiSO, but as for additional bikes, I've added a V7 Stornello which I like very much, but that is mostly for gravel/dirt off road fun with a lively if sedate character. I've also gone through an 8V Norge and MGX-21 that as nice as they were, left me flat for the most part.

NEVER in a million years did I think a 44 year old slush box could be so satisfying. I bought the Convert as a curiosity that wouldn't go away, and because it was in relatively good complete condition. The GRiSO shouts GO FAST! The Convert says GO SLOW.... and both bring such great satisfaction. What is best is that all 3 of my bikes are so different, with different missions and expectations that there is nothing but sheer satisfaction.

Next for me is to pull my former 2 wheeled addictions out of storage (where they've been for 7-8 years) get them running again and decide if they are keepers or will be sold on the black market to Yamaha addicts... Prior to the GRiSO I never thought I would part with my XS1100. I've had it since 1984, and put 134K miles on it, but now I am not sure.

So...... GRiSO and Goat paths? Shocked Question Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Xcountry41
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Xcountry41

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:18 am

knumbnutz wrote:
So Saturday was the first day in a while that our new found climate change decided to stop raining long enough that I could take the toys out of the garage.
I pumped up the tyres on the two bikes that are rideable, a V11 Cafe Sport, all resplendent in new rubber and extra carbon fibre fandangly bits and my GRiSO SE.
Flip a coin and the new acquired V11 is rolled out the door and fired up. This is its first real ride since purchased 4months ago, real being around bends and up and down mountains and such like normal riding should be rather than to single brief stint to the shop for a front tyre and roadworthy.
This time, with proper air pressure in the front tyre and tread, the bike steered beautifully and tracked over bumps, powered past cars, sounded great, ran great.. all was good with the world. .... and, if the story ended here, I wouldn't have written this post.

So after an hour of joyful riding, I get home and swap rides to the GRiSO.
I basically cover the same route I had just been on, but something was wrong, very wrong. The GRiSO sounds slightly angry, snarls when the throttle opens and when judicial use of the right hand is forgotten, it reminds you not to take riding it so lightly. I had surpassed my V11 turnaround point and had been joined by some fellow riders and my subconscious had decided that I should keep riding forth.
At the lights that signal a downhill run over the "goat track" - a single lane part of the road along a sheer cliff too narrow for a two way road, my comrades on their sport bikes and coloured cow suits gave me that look. That smug look, 180hp look. Thats when the exhaust sound turned from angry to fire breathing dragon mode.

I took off down the hill, bumpy, tight, then 500mtrs later, opening up to an undulus carving through the trees, round a set of tight 20km/hr bends, between rocky outcrops and on to the local village 10minutes later. It wasn't until I arrived at the cafe and started to walk in did the other three arrive. I stood in line and ordered the local dish, stewed beef pieces in gravy held together with pastry. People usually call it a pie, but this tasted a whole lot more than the sum of three letters deserved to taste.  

I sat there, beguiled by the beast parked in front, slightly overwhelmed by oxytocin and just glad to be out of the house on such a day.

It was there that my conudrum appeared out of nowhere. I felt nothing for the V11. It was sedate compared to the GRiSO, somewhat boring even and worse still, I couldnt recall anything that it did that was better than the GRiSO. It didnt brake as well, it didnt handle as well and it certainly didnt go as well. mmmm.
I have another V11, fully customised, snorting, fun flickable, more sporty.

I looked through the ads for bikes and I just can't find anything 2nd hand that lights a fuse? I have a cruiser and carver in the GRiSO, I have something funky and different in my custom, I can't think of anytime the Cafe Sport would win out between these other two, so sell it I guess...

If you have made it this far, then I have a question. If you could get another bike, what tickles your fancy?

Stelvio NTX for me.  My revelation is happening in reverse. Picked up a 2013 1200 SE GRiSO a month ago and of course I'm thrilled.
At first the novelty had me neglecting my 2015 Stelvio a bit. Getting it figured out now. Stelvio is more comfortable and plush but does not give away any of the classic character.

GRiSO is more responsive and a bit more of a "rush". so Far they are slotting in to give me the best of both worlds.

P.O. had the GRiSO set up with HB. tail, and case racks. He kept the side cases but I don't think I will feel the need to do long tours on the GRiSO.

Rode the Stelvio to work this morning cuz the weather was shitty, and the bike matches my Goretex :-) was happy to have the weather protection of the big screen.
Thinking of a Dart Marlin for the GRiSO just cuz I'm not used to having sooo many bugs on my helmet shield.

Likely will just leave it naked though, and maybe take the case racks off as it has such beautiful lines without them.
So the GRiSO will be the fair weather bike to commute and rip around within a couple hundred KM's of home, and the Stelvio will be the epic adventure , wet weather, long distance ride.

Would still consider adding a V85TT, or Beta enduro bike in the future but right now I'm blessed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO first world issue   GRiSO first world issue Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO first world issue
Page 1 of 1