GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue

Go down 
+3
Oz1200Guzzi
Pete Roper
Rocket Surgeon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Rocket Surgeon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Rocket Surgeon

New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Empty
PostSubject: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi all, looking for some advice here. I picked up a new 2014 GRiSO last October, and have repeatedly had an issue where while riding the bike, the engine just quits and the LCD display goes dead. I then have to pull over and switch the ignition switch off then back on again before the LCD display comes back up and the bike will restart. Have had it at the local dealer 4 times for the same problem where they usually tighten the ground etc. (after running a diagnostic to no avail). The last time, Moto Guzzi advised them to "deoxidize" the battery leads. This seemed to solve it for about 2 months, but now its back. It's all a bit dangerous when it happens on the freeway at night during rush hour. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:20 pm

Complete electrical drop out is usually the result of either the battery terminals or the earth strap mount at the starter motor being loose or corroded. Make sure all are clean and tight and have some terminal protectant on them.

If the problem persists then there may be an issue with the ignition switch but I honestly expect it will be the terminals or earth mount.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Rocket Surgeon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Rocket Surgeon

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:00 pm

Thanks Pete, just one question. What do you recommend for "terminal protectant"? Silicone spray? WD40? something form fit for purpose?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:05 pm

You can buy aerosol stuff but Vaseline smeared on to clean fittings works every bit as well.

Dress the terminals and the earth mount and cable ends up with wet and dry so they are all nice and shiny and then slather on the Vaseline. When tightening, especially the queer hexagonal thingy that holds the earth straps to the gearbox, don't over-tighten. The threaded part of the queer hexagonal thingy is only a 5mm thread from memory, if you reef into it like the Incredible Hulk you'll either strip the threads out of the gearbox casting or worse still snap the threads off in there which will open up a whole new world of pain.....

Pete
Back to top Go down
Rocket Surgeon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Rocket Surgeon

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:20 pm

Got it. I'll give it a shot. Thanks Pete!

-Brian
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:25 pm

Had this on my Sport when I first got it. BUT I had an immobilizer fitted and it was intermittent. Right royal bitch in Shitney peak hour traffic. Have you got an immobiliser fitted?
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Ralf z

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:47 pm

I had a similar issue. But I found the crimp on the negative battery lead wasn't real tight. First I cut off the heat shrink and re crimped the terminal, all good.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:54 am

Any chance it could be the side stand switch? I had a weird experience once when accelerating up a hill, preparing to pass another bike, reving hard, the motor sputtered/cut out, (and in and out a few times) not completely dead, but very disconcerting and shit-inducing. Turned out the side stand switch was engaging intermittently. I subsequently bypassed the switch, which I know a lot of you would not approve of, but it solved the problem. Worth checking at least.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

“When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.
When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.” - Neil Peart

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:10 am

I'm one who likes the side-stand switch because I occasionally do absent-minded things, and that is one that can easily kill you. I recall Pete R's story about the poor soul in England who was tossed under a bus this way.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:40 pm

Me too. I no longer have a clutch switch, so I rely on that side stand switch to stop from being tossed into the weeds. Again.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:53 pm

Side stand switch won't lead to complete electrical shut down. It'll just kill the motor. Dash etc will remain active.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Rocket Surgeon
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Rocket Surgeon

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies! So it's back at the dealer today. When they went to bring the GRiSO inside, it wouldn't turn on. The mechanic had to hit the key with the palm of his hand, and then the LCD display came up, and that process could be repeated every time. Turns out to be an "ignition switch failure". When they took it apart, there was an issue with the positive lead heading into the housing and the switch needs to be replaced...once they can get ahold of someone from Moto Guzzi to order it. Apparently their website was down today. Think it's gonna be there a while...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue   New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New GRiSO (2014) stalling issue
Page 1 of 1