GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO as a Commuter?

Go down 
+18
not-fishing
Pete Roper
LBC Tenni
Spaceknight
rboe
89millegt
cbxtc6
little750
Canyon Carver
DungeonMaster
beetle
pokeyjoe
wyno
Oz1200Guzzi
Grisonut
Ralf z
guzziownr
Enzo the baker
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
pokeyjoe

GRiSO as a Commuter? Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:26 pm

How would a GRiSO do as a commuter? I know it's heavy (550 lbs?), but would that be a serious deterent? I had a Triumph Scrambler for awhile and it weighed 500 lbs. It wasn't horrible. I've been kinda spoiled by lighter bikes and wonder if its really that big a deal. I used a Street Triple for awhile and a V7. Those are both 400 lb. bikes. Real easy in traffic and moving around the garage. Anyone commute on a GRiSO?

John
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Enzo the baker

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:43 pm

To be clear, I don't commute on my GRiSO but it is really agile in traffic. I have had no problems parking and maneuvering in tight spaces, additionally it has a low seat height. Wind protection could be better but a small fly screen helps. I've got about 4k miles on mine and my only complaints were the wideness of the stock bars and lack of carry space. Both of which were easily remedied, Renthal bars, MG rear rack and MG tail pack. My other bike is a BMW K1200 GT, great commuter, plenty of storage, however while it's excellent on the highway it a bitch to maneuver in parking lots. It is also tall which makes every parking situation an adventure or disaster. I too had a Triumph Scrambler, fun little bike but felt more like a heavy toy with little potential for commuter duty.
Just my .02$
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:22 pm

I didn't commute much on my '09 8V because of the low speed snatchiness.  Now it is a pleasure thanks to Pete and Beetle's mapping and technical support.  I ride it as much as my other commuter, the '75 Eldorado.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:45 pm

I commute on my GRiSO and I'm very pleased with it. I couldn't see how it would be a bad commuter.

DM
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:56 pm

Let me preface by saying that I don't commute. IMNSHO the GRiSO is not for commuting. Yes, some do, but at what cost? There is a risk of the engine not getting up to temperature, thus causing mayo in the top end, thus causing a risk to non roller top ends. If you do have a roller top end, well, you'll still get mayo.

NorthBayGriso is the man to ask. He commutes on his.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:03 am

I am not a mayo guy. Smile
(1100's don't worry about it)

And I am ten miles away from work so I think I have enough time to warm up my motor.
But my commuting days are over.
My company offered me home dispatch again so my work van is parked at my own home. I just leave my front door straight to work.

DM
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:10 pm

There is that. This pushrod engines are I suppose immune to such things more so than the flat tappet engines.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Ralf z

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:05 pm

I don't commute on the guzzi.
I have commuted in the past, 5 years of it actually.
But it was on a Suzuki bandit 1200,
110,000 ks in four years and a old Suzuki Dr 250.
I must be getting old as I couldn't be bothered, I alsothink its a false economy.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:52 pm

I commute this time of year cause it's nice here in FL but in the Summer it ain't fun with wearing gear in that heat.
And for me, a bike would have to run pretty shitty not commute on it so the GRiSO in stock form is still enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:49 pm

Any bike can be used as a commuter, but in some situations makes it difficult to enjoy. I used to commute to Kingsgrove in Sydney but it was not enjoyable being stuck in traffic. However where I work now, it is 41 kilometres to work, 20 on a freeway and the rest is moving the whole time - good for the soul.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:58 am

If you love it, you'll ride it.
A shitty ride is still better than no ride, and a shitty weekend is still better than a good day at work.
I will admit that Guzzi's can be tiring in heavy stop/start traffic, constantly slipping the clutch in 1st.
But that just serves to make the free spirited weekend rides all the more enjoyable.

Fuck Red Bull, Guzzi gives you wings!
Hey Steak, I want copyright on that one for the 'T'-shirt.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:34 am

Guzzi gives you wings that beat to a different note to other birds...
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:04 am

I don't have a car or another bike, so I use the GRiSO for everything. Going to and from work (which can vary between 5 km there and back and 100km), riding the Great Ocean Road, touring or whatever. It handles it all.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:34 am

Ralf z wrote:
I don't commute on the guzzi.
I have commuted in the past, 5 years of it actually.
But it was on a Suzuki bandit 1200,
110,000 ks in four years and a old Suzuki Dr 250.
I must be getting old as I couldn't be bothered, I alsothink its a false economy.

You may be saving gas but you will be spending tires!!
Back to top Go down
pokeyjoe
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
pokeyjoe

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Yes, I know you can pretty much do anything you want on any bike you want. I was really just wondering if the weight was prohibitive. I can deal with the wide handlebars. The handlebars on my Dorsoduro are 3" wider, but high enough to go over the mirrors on many cars (Not trucks, though. That's more of a head-dodging thing).

So it sounds like the bike would work well enough. Nimble enough if you are moving, but maybe not so much if I have to move it around the garage.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:01 pm

pokeyjoe wrote:

So it sounds like the bike would work well enough.  Nimble enough if you are moving, but maybe not so much if I have to move it around the garage.

Thumbs Up

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:41 pm

pokeyjoe wrote:

So it sounds like the bike would work well enough.  Nimble enough if you are moving, but maybe not so much if I have to move it around the garage.

Moving around the garage?
It's not as easy as some it's not as difficult as some.
I have had more trouble moving lighter bikes with less steering lock.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:06 am

I'm typing on my commuter right now. It's the fastest way to get to work! Laughing
Back to top Go down
little750
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
little750

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:34 am

As I work from home the other half would be pissed with the GRiSO in the bedroom to ride down the stairs to my work so I don't commute.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:33 pm

I would prefer a big thumper to commute up and down stairs.
Back to top Go down
cbxtc6
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
cbxtc6

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:03 am

Hi John,
Welcome! I have used my '12 GRiSO to commute 80 miles one way into Chicago quite a few times this past Summer. I have enjoyed almost every minute! No issues whatsoever. Once I get through traffic on the way home, I can really let the beast stretch her legs! Averaging ~40mpg.

Cheers!

Mike
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:03 pm

That's damn good mileage for that ride. I only get that good up in the hills away from stop signs and lights.
Back to top Go down
89millegt
Carlotto
Carlotto
89millegt

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:06 pm

Most of the miles I've ridden each year on the '11 SE have been commuting. About 25 miles each way.

Adding the MG tail rack made carrying stuff easier. The Beetle maps made rideabity and fuel mileage much better.
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:24 am

I think it's a poor commuter. You can do it, but there are much better choices. I take the city streets, avoid the freeways like the plague (especially during rush hour). I've used the bike to get to work in the winter and summer (when the car was in the shop) and just for mucking about the city. The CB1100 is very good at this, the XR650L is even better.

Summer riding in Phoenix is very hard to enjoy, the excessive heat coming off the jugs of the GRiSO makes it worse.

The GRiSO is an open road machine, if your commute is mostly open road you're golden. Otherwise, a scooter would be a better choice.
Back to top Go down
Spaceknight
Carlotto
Carlotto
Spaceknight

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:54 pm

I commute on mine and it's a pretty poor choice.

I keep getting to work 1/2 hour late and get home even later. You need something more boring like a DL650 (like I used to have). Otherwise you'll keep finding the longest way to get from point A to B. cheers

Seriously though, Through city streets with lots of traffic it would be a pain in the butt. If you live in the sticks like me (New Hampshire, USA), where traffic is pretty much non-existent, it's wonderful. Although I hear there are better mappings that smooth out the low speed stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO as a Commuter?   GRiSO as a Commuter? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO as a Commuter?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next