GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AustinW
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
AustinW

Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier Empty
PostSubject: Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier   Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 02, 2024 12:51 pm

So, my new to me 2016 GRiSO came with a rear rack not fitted but no bolts or other hardware. I’ve got it fitted now - the holes were already drilled into tailpiece and I used two M8 x 20mm button head bolts in there with a touch of blue loctite and two long M8 button heads in the side, but those definitely need a spacer each side else the rack will be getting bent just to get a reasonable amount of torque on those bolts. I’m hoping the loctite will hold for now.

Anyway my question, could someone post a picture of the spacers, or even better measure them for me. I’ve ordered a short length of 19mm aluminium tube with a 9mm ID hole which I will cut to size that should do the job (if I can do a straight cut hoh hoh hoh, no chance).  It looks like each side is slightly different.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
AustinW
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
AustinW

PostSubject: Re: Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier   Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:35 am

I made and fitted some spacers today Very Happy

I ordered a 19mm dia tube with a 9mm hole from Amazon. Measured the space for the spacers as 31.5mm left side and 28.5mm right side. Measured exactly and very very carefully cut the tube as straight as I could. I only have a junior hacksaw but aluminium is nice and soft. First cut was just about spot on and just needed a tiny bit of dressing with a file, the second cut though had gone a bit awry fortunately to the large size so a bit more time with the file had a nice square face. I also found some nice stainless Allen cap head bolts of about the right length added a spring washer to each and woo-hoo it bolts straight on and is a perfect fit.

The rack has a bit of rust around the top bolt brackets so if it bothers me I will get it re-powder coated and will get the spacers done at the same time.

I also worked out how to mount my Kriega bags to the bike. I removed the little luggage bobbins under the mudguard and added a short length of folded over 1” webbing strap with a suitable hole melted through for the bolt thread to pass through. Refit the bobbins with the little loop poking out to the outside of the bike. Very discrete. Now mount the bag half on the pillion seat half on the rack and clip to those loops. Tighten and you are away. I also found an old Kriega tank adapter and that’s an easy fit with a self made loop in the straps that go under the seat - loop back on itself to the seat subframe each side and refit the seat. The other end is a simple long length of webbing looped under the headstock. Pull it all tight and straight then clip on one or other of my Kriega bags. It looks very neat.

I took it all off before coming in from the garage and forgot to photograph. Next time I’ll get some pics though.
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

PostSubject: Re: Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier   Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:38 pm

Mine's got bit of rust near the side mountings and in the wells for the rear mounts. I was planning to just take it back to metal and paint it it with Hummerite. Do you think it needs powder coating?
Back to top Go down
AustinW
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
AustinW

PostSubject: Re: Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier   Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:24 am

Trogladyte wrote:
Mine's got  bit of rust near the side mountings and in the wells for the rear mounts. I was planning to just take it back to metal and paint it it with Hummerite. Do you think it needs powder coating?

Whatever the coating is on my rack it’s very thick and isn’t going to be easy to remove completely unless you have a blaster of some sort or even just to get back to a nice join for the paint. I just figured it would be easier to hand it over to someone else and get it back in a few days with a perfect finish. I know a lad who does a bit of coating, and it’ll be mates rates too, so that’s in my mind too.

Trogladyte likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier   Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Spacers for Guzzi rear rack /carrier
Page 1 of 1