GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Junowalker
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Junowalker

Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem? Empty
PostSubject: Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?   Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:35 am

Just bought a 2016 GRiSO 1200 8V SE, and have noticed an unusually strong gas smell in the garage after riding. Read some other posts about potential problems the EVAP system, etc., but now I think it might actually be something with the gas tank itself. See pics attached. Anyone else have this problem?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?   Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:32 am

It looks like the cap area drain hose is clogged. There is a hose on each side of tank in back under cross frame that you disconnect to get tank off. One side is cap pressure other cap moat drain. Looks like one or both are clogged. Fuel expands when warmed.
To get to the holes on top remove the filler neck & under the rubber.
Back to top Go down
Junowalker
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Junowalker

PostSubject: Re: Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?   Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:26 pm

Thanks, I’ll give it a look.
Back to top Go down
motografando
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
motografando

PostSubject: Re: Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?   Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:25 am

As posted in other thread i experienced same problem, caused by thicker gasket used to install the tanklock ring. It clogged overpressure circuit hoses and fuel drained out from the tubes.
Back to top Go down
https://motografando.altervista.org/
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?   Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:26 am

My tank ring doesn’t require changing the gasket? As mentioned in the other thread, are you sure the drain and vent are clear?
Back to top Go down
motografando
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
motografando

PostSubject: Re: Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?   Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:37 am

yes pete, i have the Onur's tank ring that require a thicker gasket.
When i disassembled it to check drain vents i noted that the gasket lost its form, and clogged the holes. I also was unable to reinstall it correctly so i'd to remove the ring and reinstall original parts.
I thing it's not a great solution indeed....
If i knew this limit before buying the ring, probably i  would choose another one.
I've also to say that nowadays there isn't not much accessories still available from markets.

You probably have a kc34 or something...and if i continue to experience the problem i'll swap my ring with one of these
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?   Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:51 am

Yup, but have you checked the vent/drain nipples at the rear of the tank? It’s not at the top where they block. It’s at the bottom at the nipples.

Take the tank off. (Run it low first.) then try using compressed air through the gutter drain from the top and the tank vent from the bottom. I’ll betcha one or both is blocked. The gasket really doesn’t have to do a lot unless the vent/drain is blocked so the gasket sits marinading in fuel.

motografando likes this post

Back to top Go down
motografando
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
motografando

PostSubject: Re: Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?   Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:33 am

Yes, they are free. I cleaned up also the little red system under the fuel cap, were is a ball with a spring and a little rubber diaphragm.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?   Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:14 am

OK, (Shrug) I got nothing….
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?   Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Strong gas smell in garage—gas tank problem?
Page 1 of 1