GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?

Go down 
+2
Bill Hagan
avgpetro
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Primitial
Carlotto
Carlotto
Primitial

6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take? Empty
PostSubject: 6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?   6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:26 am

Greetings GRiSO Experts,

I'm in the USAF and was tasked with a short notice deployment to Africa back in July, I only had a day to get my things in order and fly out so I just put her in the corner of the garage and hoped for the best. I'm going to be returning home in a week and a half and I want to take the proper steps to get my bike back in good order, from what I've looked up online I should drain the gas that is in the tank with a hand pump (There wasn't very much in the tank when I left.) and replace it, then take it to get the fluids changed. About two months into my deployment I sent my roommate a battery tender to hook up so I hope the battery is alright. What do you guys think, any glaring issues I should be worried about?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?   6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:48 am

Nope. That's about it. In all honesty unless it's been sitting outside in a swamp I'd just drop the engine oil and replace it, get as much of the shitty fuel out as possible and then fill it full of new fuel and hit the button. It may run a bit rough while it pumps through the old fuel from the lines and filter but once that is flushed it should be good to go. People worry far too much about this, it's a motorbike, principally made of metal. Six months won't harm it, look how long new bikes sometimes sit on showroom floors! Delicate pixie wings and unicorn mane hair a GRiSO is NOT made of. Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
Primitial
Carlotto
Carlotto
Primitial

PostSubject: Re: 6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?   6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:58 am

Thanks Pete, I was pretty worried. I am so excited to ride when I get home Very Happy
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: 6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?   6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:23 am

Primitial wrote:

... drain the gas that is in the tank with a hand pump ...

I wonder, what will happen if he take out the fuel line from an injector, put it in a bottle, and turn the main switch on?
I think that the pump will drain the tank - I've never done it, its just an idea.
He will have to get a new clamp, as those are grimped.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: 6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?   6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:39 am

And thanks, Primitial, for doing what needs to be done, in a place I wouldn't want to be, doing what I wouldn't want to do.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Primitial
Carlotto
Carlotto
Primitial

PostSubject: Re: 6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?   6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:32 am

Thanks Bill, avgpetro a mechanic here told me the same thing but I've never done anything like that before.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: 6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?   6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:46 am

Problem with pulling a fuel line off is that the pump will only run for four seconds without the crank spinning. You'd have to keep turning the key on and off endlessly, it would get very boring! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: 6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?   6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take? Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:56 pm

You should be fine.... Happens to me all the time ;-) Here is what I would do:

1 - Add Fresh fuel with some Seafoam of Lucas FI cleaner. Its good teh fuel is low, but even so, if you had 1/2 tank and topped off with some aditive and fresh fuel you will be good to go. I'd worry if it was over a year. I've done a couple 9 monthers and a year deployment with little notice, and no worries....
2 - Battery Tender should have the Battery Good
3 - Check tire pressures & adjust
4 - Start and run, go for a ride, get the engine and oil fully hot then change the oil & filter & ENJOY!

I love that the Guzzi's have a Polymer (non steel) tank. Really helps with the rust worries. If you want, you can run some Seafoam or Lucas the first couple tanks.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: 6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?   6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:00 am

I bought a bike in SanFransico and got it transported home to Tasmania, it had sat for some 25 years, now that did need a petrol change .......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?   6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

6 Months in a garage, What steps should I take?
Page 1 of 1