GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO

Go down 
+10
lcjohnny
beetle
bhattman
sideshowbob
Nobleswood
SMTCapeCod
guzziownr
Pete Roper
Steak
Bobcat Sig
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:02 pm

Well it is clattery for a Guzzi from cold start and much more clattery than mine.

it may be the microphone.

Bobcat Sig likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:02 pm

Mine is a lot more clattery than that, different exhaust so different exhaust noise. Sounds OK to me

Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:26 pm

Initially thought it was this one but signals are a bit different, could be. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They've had that bike for sale there for a long time....no other info.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:11 am

lcjohnny wrote:
Well it is clattery for a Guzzi from cold start and much more clattery than mine.

it may be the microphone.

If it's clattery or the chains are noisy, (I don't even bother listening to YouTube stuff, especially on my iPad. Sound quality is just so low you can't tell anything worthwhile.) it's probably spat out the spacer gasket.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:26 am

If you haven't heard a bike with a faulty spacer gasket, it goes like this; bike starts up fine with only usual noises ( cold thick oil ). By the time you have your gear on & set off, say 5 mins, your bike starts doing a very good impression of a rivet gun, cos the oil warmed up & thinned out to where it can bleed through the internal rip in the spacer gasket.

So there is a strong difference between cold & hot engine noises which would help figuring out what's going on. Oh unless you are a useless 'Moto Guzzi ' Dealer who had no f*****g clue
Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:51 am

odder wrote:
Initially thought it was this one but signals are a bit different, could be. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They've had that bike for sale there for a long time....no other info.
They have, which explains why they've been keen to work on the price. Very Happy

In speaking with the dealer, they've offered to fit new tires, no charge to me. I think I'm going with the Dunlop RoadSmart 3; they seem to wear well, hold up to a loaded bike, and provide great grip in all conditions. They have a nice profile, which makes for a better turn-in.

Once a final price is negotiated, I fly down May 6th or 7th, ride the bike back up to SW Washington over the course of two or three days along the California and Oregon Coast.
Back to top Go down
DrPat
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
DrPat

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:31 pm

Looks like a nice score Bobcat - esp. with a pair of new tyres thrown in. The system is very pretty! Mine is pretty much the same year, but a bit more stock except for a Zard, and twice as many miles (and cost twice as much!). The noisy motor could be just in need of new oil, hasn't been run much for a while, who knows when the last OC was done? I'm using this American Spectro oil at the moment, GRiSO seems to like it, runs nice an quiet anyway. - enjoy your ride home!! cheers Pat

Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:48 am

Deal struck! New tires will be fitted this week and I fly to Sacramento a week from tomorrow to pick her (or is it a he? I think it's a he) and ride back home over three days. It will be a credit card tour as I'll be limited on what I can pack and carry with me on the plane.

This has all the makings of an adventure. I'll be sure to post up as the trip progresses here.

Oz1200Guzzi, paulbrice and bhattman like this post

Back to top Go down
guzzied
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
guzzied

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:44 pm

Have a nice ride home! I have been eyeing this bike for the last month as I'm just 500 mile away from the showroom it is at. At least now I don't have to explain to the wife why I need a 3rd Guzzi in my garage as I just sold one 11 months ago Twisted Evil Also, make sure you don't bring any tools with you on your flight down as I think there is a 6" limit on length if you don't check your bag. I had a small crescent wrench taken from my duffle bag (full set of riding leathers and helmet) by a newly trained TSA agent and he made sure his new boss saw what he found.

Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:51 pm

guzzied wrote:
Have a nice ride home! I have been eyeing this bike for the last month as I'm just 500 mile away from the showroom it is at. At least now I don't have to explain to the wife why I need a 3rd Guzzi in my garage as I just sold one 11 months ago Twisted Evil  Also, make sure you don't bring any tools with you on your flight down as I think there is a 6" limit on length if you don't check your bag. I had a small crescent wrench taken from my duffle bag (full set of riding leathers and helmet) by a newly trained TSA agent and he made sure his new boss saw what he found.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks for the TSA tip on tools. I was planning on packing a few tools to adjust levers, bars, and such. I'll be sure to check a bag with them in it.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:31 pm

Three days from Sacramento to PDX???  I hope that means you'll heading over to the coast at Ft. Bragg for a little adventuring.

There's really nothing to adjust that would make any perceptible difference in riding position without installing risers and extensions.  While the underseat tool kit is a paltry collection not really worthy of the title of "kit", it is sufficient enough to get you home to Portland from Sacramento.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 pm

Steak wrote:
Three days from Sacramento to PDX???  I hope that means you'll heading over to the coast at Ft. Bragg for a little adventuring.

There's really nothing to adjust that would make any perceptible difference in riding position without installing risers and extensions.  While the underseat tool kit is a paltry collection not really worthy of the title of "kit", it is sufficient enough to get you home to Portland from Sacramento.

Oh yes. Once I complete the transaction and fit the tail bag; I’ll head directly west, snake up through the Clearlake Valley, go over to the coast at Ukiah, north through Fort Bragg, up through the redwoods via Avenue of the Giants, inland along the Rogue, and then? Not sure. May burn it north or jump back over to the coast? Whatever I choose; it will be great. I love that area of the west and it’s been a few years since I’ve been down there on a motorcycle.

As for tools, I hear you. Unfortunately, I don’t know if the bike has its kit with it, so I’ll prepare, just in case. I’ve also become quite particular about my lever position after track days, and all the dirt riding as of late. Besides, I also need to install the under-tail bobbins. In the pictures, it looks like they were removed and I’ll need them to secure my tail bag (I think).

Otherwise, a change of clothes, a journal, and a scotch flask, and it will be a lightweight affair.  I’m excited.

Last edited by Bobcat Sig on Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Oz1200Guzzi, odder, lcjohnny and moby like this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:29 am

Personally for tools I would just take puncture repair kit (CO2, reamer/needle & rubber strips)....all fits under seat if you pull off snorkel.

Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:59 am

You could fedex a box with riding gear, tools, luggage to the bike shop and ride home.
I crammed all my gear in a large ortlieb bag and checked bag without issue.

Congrats and enjoy the ride! cheers Thumbs Up

Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:05 am

odder wrote:
You could fedex a box with riding gear, tools, luggage to the bike shop and ride home.
I crammed all my gear in a large ortlieb bag and checked bag without issue.

Congrats and enjoy the ride! cheers Thumbs Up

Thanks!

That's not a bad idea. I think the issue right now is that FedEx, UPS, and USPS are still delayed and aren't reliable on their delivery windows. Likely, I'll follow the same course as I did when I did a fly-n-ride when I picked up my Aprilia RSV4-RR last summer in Santa Monica; check my riding gear - jacket, pants, gloves, boots - in a big stuff sack, and carry on my helmet and backpack with other essential items. Then, when I get to the shop, don the riding gear, pack the tail bag, and stow the stuff sack since it packs down so small.

When I did that with the Aprilia, I did so with a Velomacchi backpack. As the Gris has a bit more real estate on the tail section, I'm afforded a bit choices. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 10, 2021 3:51 pm

I'm happy to report that the bike was successfully acquired, the trip home relatively smooth, and the GRiSO exceeded my expectations.

So let's take a look at a few pictures...

I think there's a joke in here somewhere about the engine technology? I'm not sure. Very Happy

Day 2 had me through the Redwoods and one of my favorite sections of road; The Avenue of the Giants. It is a surreal experience on a motorcycle, no matter how many times I ride it.

There are always a few characters along the way. This is one:

I tried making it over the mountains to the California coast out of Ukiah, but with it too late in the day and a very rough road. I opted to turn back for a blast up highway 101. The views were exceptional, however.

And Oregon never disappoints. While I made a wrong turn, the scenery delivered.

I didn't take nearly enough pictures I planned, mainly due to the overestimation of time and mileage each day. I found that I was hustling to beat the sunset each night.

The route I took, generally followed this track: Day 1 - west out of Sac, through Davis, where I picked up 128/ From there, it was 175 to Hopland and up to Ukiah on US-101. My plan was to cut over to Fort Bragg via Orr Springs Road, but it was more suited for a long-legged ADV bike, so I turned around and made haste up 101 to Garberville, where I stayed for the night.

Day 2 was crisscrossing US-101 on Avenue of the Giants until its northern terminus, where it was back on 101 up through Crescent City, where I turned off on 199, towards Grants Pass. That stretch of 101 was cold, windy, and a bit of a suffer-fest. 199 is terrific. From Grants Pass, it was another blast up I-5, which too was windy and miserable. I found some spectacular country backroads which took me to OR-138 and ultimately to OR-38, which took me to the Oregon Coast at Reedsport, where I spent the night.

Day 3 was US-101 north, with a bypass on OR-229, which a gem. Once back on 101, I headed east on OR-18 wherein I hit the greater Portland megalopolis and on to home.

So... the real question; what did I think of the bike? In a word; splendid.

The GRiSO exceeded my expectations, which truthfully, I set unfairly low. After all, we're talking about a bike that's quite heavy with an anachronistic engine, complete with spoked wheels and a shaft drive. Nonetheless, it was clear that this bike can boogie.

With plenty of grunt, this bike moves. While I wouldn't call it quick, it is fast. And stable. And my, how it handles. That was the biggest surprise; the chassis. It was clear that Aprilia had a hand in developing the handling. In many ways, it felt like my Tuono; dense, stable, and holds a line without issue. Fast sweepers were its happy place.

Now, to the hard bits. I rather enjoyed the Corbin Gunfighter seat, and while the looks of it were largely hampered by the bag I had strapped to the back, I think it suits the bike quite nicely. In fact, were I to order one, this particular unit was spec'd just as I would. Although the toolkit was absent, as was the cover that holds the toolkit to the seat pan.

The seating position is decidedly sporty, and I love that about the bike. The previous owner swapped over a Renthal FatBar that - I think - gives more sweep and slightly more rise. I may look at something more akin to the OEM specs. The Pazzo levers worked great.

I'm curious about the brakes. Granted, this is a heavier bike, but the front brakes are wooden, lacking a bit of feel, bite, and stopping power. I need to check the fluid, but are there some pads that I could swap in that make an improvement?

Almost on the nose, the fuel light came on at 135 miles every time. This was the case through nearly all tanks of gas. In one instance while in the thick of the redwoods, I had the pleasure of finding how long the reserve range. Fuel stations were sparse in that stretch and I think I squeezed out 160-ish miles of the tank. That was fun...

Overall, I get the impression that this bike was owned by a Ghetto Dweller at some point. Not only is the fueling quite good with the aftermarket exhaust, leading me to believe that it has a map (maybe a Beetle map?), but the fork is raised in the triples by a noticeable amount, the pre-load dialed up in the rear, and the snorkel removed on the airbox - it sure seems like a previous owner followed all of the common to-dos on this bike.

The first major area of attention is identifying and fixing some sort of fluid leak on the upper left part of the bike, up high, behind the relocated oil cooler. I don't think it's oil leaking from the oil cooler, as there's nothing weeping from the cooler itself. Maybe it's a clutch fluid leak? Or maybe an oil leak from somewhere else?

Second to that is bleeding the clutch. On the last day, it was getting a bit spongy, which leads me to believe the aforementioned leak is clutch fluid.

The bike also came with a MotoDemic JW Speaker adaptive headlight, which is sweet! But it's clocked in the housing about 45 degrees off, so I need to rectify that. Oh, and wash the bike; the amount of bug death is prolific. Very Happy

I have a few other questions on the bike that I'll ask in the appropriate sub-forums. This is going to be a long, lovely ownership with this ol' GRiSO!

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 10, 2021 4:53 pm

Try the EBC HH brake pads, made a big difference on mine, and change out the fluid, clutch too. Leak my be a split breather hose, or condom, do a search.

Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 10, 2021 5:20 pm

sideshowbob wrote:
Try the EBC HH brake pads, made a big difference on mine, and change out the fluid, clutch too. Leak my be a split breather hose, or condom, do a search.

Great idea on the EBC HH pads. I ran those on my 899 Panigale and liked them a great deal - progressive with plenty of feel.

I've been searching on the oil leak. I think it's either some sort of breather leak or maybe a belt housing gasket? It seems as though it's coming from the front of the engine, up high, and on the left part of the block. I'll tear into it tonight.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 pm

Leak may be either the condom on the breather box or the phase sensor.

Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 10, 2021 9:25 pm

+1 on the condom. Thin layer of oil will blow all over. Might be a good idea to check air box as well. Break pass should be first mod IMHO.

Owner sure put a lot of cash into it only to sell it off.

Congrats! NorCal roads are sure fun.

Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 10, 2021 9:46 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Leak may be either the condom on the breather box or the phase sensor.

After given the area a good hose down and a wash, I think it’s the condom. I did check the phase sensor and it was dry and clean. So I’ll pull off the tank and confirm that it’s a busted prophylactic. I’ll also go read up on that fix.
Back to top Go down
Bobcat Sig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bobcat Sig

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 10, 2021 9:50 pm

odder wrote:
+1 on the condom. Thin layer of oil will blow all over. Might be a good idea to check air box as well. Break pass should be first mod IMHO.

Owner sure put a lot of cash into it only to sell it off.

Congrats! NorCal roads are sure fun.

Thanks! It was a great trip and likely no better way to get to know a new bike.

Good idea on the airbox. What did you mean about break pass? Did you mean a brake bleed or new pads?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon May 10, 2021 9:57 pm

FA244HH are the EBC pads for the front, 181's for the back.

Condom covers a spigot not used on the 1200's, you *may* be able to get to it simply by taking off the left 'Wing' but probably a tank off job.

A full bleed of the brakes and clutch is a good idea and check the rear caliper can move on its pins.

While farting about with that would be the ideal time to pull the swingarm to grease the swingarm bearings and shock linkages.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 11, 2021 1:51 am

Pete Roper wrote:
.....check the rear caliper can move on its pins.

Pete
has the later 1200 8v got a sliding rear caliper? Mine (2009) is a twin piston
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue May 11, 2021 4:40 am

They all use a floating caliper. Two pistons, but they are both on the same side. The caliper slides on pins. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, etc. basic physics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO   Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Help me [virtually] check out a used GRiSO
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next