GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

CARC oil plug stuck…

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Junowalker
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Junowalker

CARC oil plug stuck… Empty
PostSubject: CARC oil plug stuck…   CARC oil plug stuck… Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:01 pm

Went to change my final drive oil for the 10K service and found my oil plug won’t budge—and I don’t want to strip it. Any suggestions would be appreciated….[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: CARC oil plug stuck…   CARC oil plug stuck… Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:09 pm

If it's loose in the plug add some lapping paste so it has grit or get a tight fitting socket. Then extend it out w/jack handle or bar. You may want to warm it up w/heat gun. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: CARC oil plug stuck…   CARC oil plug stuck… Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:18 pm

Forget the pissy little key.

Get a high quality 6mm Allen socket that fits the hex snuggly and use a breaker bar to jar it loose. Giving the plug a good rap with a hammer and punch to break any corrosion will help. The quality and fit of the Allen socket is vital. If it isn’t a really good fit you’ll risk rounding out the plug.

As a word of advice I never drain the oil before I’ve got the filler plug loose. At least that way if it won’t come out you can still ride the bike while you work out how to get it out.

Yahu and SemperVee1 like this post

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: CARC oil plug stuck…   CARC oil plug stuck… Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:25 pm

They are not supposed to be very tight maybe 10ftlbs.
Back to top Go down
Junowalker
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Junowalker

PostSubject: Re: CARC oil plug stuck…   CARC oil plug stuck… Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:47 am

Got it! I let the bike go cold (had tried changing the oil when warm), and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CARC oil plug stuck…   CARC oil plug stuck… Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

CARC oil plug stuck…
Page 1 of 1