GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stuck front wheel bolt

Go down 
+3
Pete Roper
beetle
Merl3noir
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Merl3noir
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Merl3noir

Stuck front wheel bolt Empty
PostSubject: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:12 pm

It's time to put some new rubber on my Red Devil GRiSO. I am trying to get the bolt for the front wheel loose and it is so over tight i nearly lifted the front off of the stand. it seems like so many things i go to work on have been over tightened by the dealer i purchased it from. I'll maybe give them some credit that it is over tight due to heat cycles in the front bearing. Regardless I am not sure what i am going to end up doing to get that front bolt loose.

I have been using a 2 foot breaker bar and on the slots on the axle pins i am using a 18in screwdriver. I have been worried the screwdriver will break it is bending so much. I switched from pulling up on the breaker bar to pushing and pulling against the front shock but so far only thing to happen is the pin twists in the clamps as it bends my screwdriver.

I don't want to use a torch near the shocks to loosen things up so looking here for ideas on how to get that bolt loose. I think i need something a little longer and stouter than the screwdriver so that I can let it push against the ground. I suspect loosening the wheel bolt clamps at this point will just make it worse not better.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:08 pm

Yikes! The nut is only supposed to be tightened to 80 Nm (708 in lbf - 59 ft lbf).

I use a piece of steel held by vice grips in the axle slots, and a breaker bar. You may need something stiffer than a screwdriver.

May need a second person to assist.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Merl3noir
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Merl3noir

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:25 pm

Yeah I often find things way over tight. I think a lot of mechanics think an impact wrech makes a good torque wrench.

Anyway quick update, I had a couple thoughts after posting... none worked. I took it off the stand, I never loosen any other wheel bolts on the stand so not sure why I was doing the front wheel on the stand. I also found a SS shipping bracket from some industrial equipment I used to work on. I put that in the slots in the pin and tapped it with a hammer hoping to release some pressure on the bolt. As it was night time I did not tap very hard, did not want to disturb everyone.

Sadly all this did was bend the ss shipping bracket. Yeah time to find something a lot stiffer.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:06 pm

Are you talking about the spindle nut?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:39 am

I don't think the pin is supposed to move until you loosen the fork nuts at bottom....ideally you 'just' undo the spindle nut & then loosen the fork nuts to get/tap the pin out.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:01 am

Correct. That’s why I was confused, (It happens a lot nowadays!). The nut is the first thing you do on the spindle. Then the pinch bolts and pull the spindle.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:21 am

Nothing to be confused about. The spindle nut is so tight it can't be loosened easily.
The pinch bolts are still tight.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Merl3noir
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Merl3noir

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:08 am

Correct it is the spindle nut that is too tight.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:07 am

Yup, don’t doubt it but if the pinch bolts are still tight and the spindle is spinning it must be tighter than fuck!

That being the case I’d go for a six point impact socket, a rattlegun and thoughts and prayers! Socket might need grinding down to get sufficient purchase.
Back to top Go down
tazio
Carlotto
Carlotto
tazio

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:54 am

Not trying to be a smart-ass..
"righty tighty, lefty loosey"??
Or might had last person got happy with Permanent Loc-Tight??
Back to top Go down
Merl3noir
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Merl3noir

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:23 pm

tazio wrote:
Not trying to be a smart-ass..
"righty tighty, lefty loosey"??
Or might had last person got happy with Permanent Loc-Tight??

After 30+ years servicing industrial and hospital equipment if I made that mistake I would check myself into the old farts home... I was more worried it was a reverse threat so ran my fingernail in the 1.5 threads sticking out. As for loc-tight.. had that nightmare last night, but so far I see nothing. I picked up some 90deg angle iron i am hoping that will not bend... and I pretty sure I have a 6 edge impact wrech socket... I am hoping I can avoid getting an impact wrench but maybe as often as I see overtightenned or corroded bolts maybe I need to invest in one.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:59 pm

Try a heat gun, worth a try.
Back to top Go down
Merl3noir
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Merl3noir

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:22 pm

sideshowbob wrote:
Try a heat gun, worth a try.

Was going to be my next attemp... but the angle iron provided a stable source to push against and I managed to break it loose. Hurrah

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
tazio
Carlotto
Carlotto
tazio

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:23 pm

BRAVO!
The Old Farts Home will have to wait a few more years!!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:07 pm

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:30 pm

the moment it gave must've felt so good!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stuck front wheel bolt   Stuck front wheel bolt Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stuck front wheel bolt
Page 1 of 1