GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

cracked pretzel

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

cracked pretzel Empty
PostSubject: cracked pretzel   cracked pretzel Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:08 am

performed a long overdue cleaning of the GRiSO and found the dreaded crack in the pretzel.
I'm going to have it TIG welded along the fault line since I'm not seeing any used ones anywhere.
anybody have one for sale?
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

cracked pretzel Empty
PostSubject: Re: cracked pretzel   cracked pretzel Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:25 am

well - not only is the pipe cracked, the bracket completely broke!
I hope my welder can repair without melting the bushing -wondering if I should attempt to press it out and re-install it after the repair
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

cracked pretzel Empty
PostSubject: Re: cracked pretzel   cracked pretzel Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:07 pm

Yikes! The pretzel gets pretty hot while running, so I would not expect it to melt.

I'm not a welder, so take that with a grain of salt.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

cracked pretzel Empty
PostSubject: Re: cracked pretzel   cracked pretzel Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:18 pm

Of course, welding is hotter than running, but it might be okay. If the bush is easily removable, it can't hurt. Otherwise, have your welder wrap the bushing with a damp rag while welding and air cool frequently during the process.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.
When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.” - Neil Peart

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

cracked pretzel Empty
PostSubject: Re: cracked pretzel   cracked pretzel Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:31 am

exhaust is back together and seems good to go for the time being.
I removed the bushing before my guy welded it back together for me and  I had him beef up the the hanger support by adding another layer of stainless to it.
Was hoping to report on the fitting of  Kawasaki exhaust gaskets p/n 11060-1330 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but they arrived after I had put everything back together. I'll post back if I end up needing to use them. they are 1/2 the price of the Guzzi oem's

Clancy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

cracked pretzel Empty
PostSubject: Re: cracked pretzel   cracked pretzel Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:27 pm

cheers

“When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.
When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.” - Neil Peart

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Matias
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Matias

cracked pretzel Empty
PostSubject: Re: cracked pretzel   cracked pretzel Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:18 am

I already had to weld that bushing bracket on mine too.
The guy did a perfect weld (I was impressed) and it has been holding on so far.
Pay attention when you asemble the exaust back on the bike...You should not put too much stress on that bushing bracket.
Once, as I was assembling the exhaust after some repair, I tried to make a perfect fit headers/pretzel closing all the gaps. This eneded up increasing the stress on that bracket, and I think that's what broke it. It seems my bike likes to have a small gap in the lower header/pretzel connection (see picture below).
I now let the heather/pretzel clamps loose, tighten the pretzel bushing first and only fasten the clamps afterwards. Its' been holding so far...

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

cracked pretzel Empty
PostSubject: Re: cracked pretzel   cracked pretzel Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:25 am

Matias wrote:
...You should not put too much stress on that bushing bracket.
Once, as I was assembling the exhaust after some repair, I tried to make a perfect fit headers/pretzel closing all the gaps. This eneded up increasing the stress on that bracket, and I think that's what broke it. It seems my bike likes to have a small gap in the lower header/pretzel connection (see picture below).
I now let the heather/pretzel clamps loose, tighten the pretzel bushing first and only fasten the clamps afterwards. Its' been holding so far...

I found that on mine too - once I had the mid pipe loosely  fitted, I tapped the pipes with a rubber mallet to let everything fall into a stress free position then locked it down. gave me the same gap you have with yours
Back to top Go down
Matias
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Matias

cracked pretzel Empty
PostSubject: Re: cracked pretzel   cracked pretzel Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:50 am

That's it 👍
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

cracked pretzel Empty
PostSubject: Re: cracked pretzel   cracked pretzel Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

cracked pretzel
Page 1 of 1