GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Driveshaft level plug issue

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Merl3noir
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Merl3noir

Driveshaft level plug issue Empty
PostSubject: Driveshaft level plug issue   Driveshaft level plug issue Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:42 pm

Working on doing an oil change yesterday. The level plug for the drive shaft has become very rusted. So after changing the motor oil and filter i went to remove the level plug and as i feared it stripped out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

#1 in the picture from the manual in case your unclear.

I do have counter thread removal tools, but they require drilling a hole in the bolt first. Not something i care to do if i can avoid it. Would probably want to take the whole back end off so nothing ends up in the drive shaft. Will need to order a replacement plug so have some time to consider how i want to proceed. I have thought maybe i could not drill all the way through and still have enough of a hole to get things going. but i worry about accidently drilling too deep or something else careless. Plus, it might not work and then i might be down a route i can't get out of easily.

Any thoughts on how to get the plug out with minimal pain.
Back to top Go down
dammag
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
dammag

PostSubject: Re: Driveshaft level plug issue   Driveshaft level plug issue Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:36 pm

Get a long torx bit that is a bit too big to go in the hole in the plug. Belt it in with a hammer then try and undo the plug.
Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

PostSubject: Re: Driveshaft level plug issue   Driveshaft level plug issue Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:30 pm

Merl,

Do NOT drill that plug.

If you care to email me with your phone number, I will talk you thru it. There are a couple of options with basic hand tools.

Kel
Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

PostSubject: Re: Driveshaft level plug issue   Driveshaft level plug issue Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:06 pm

Kel wrote:

If you care to email me with your phone number, I will talk you thru it.

Yes, but we all want to know . . .
Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

PostSubject: Re: Driveshaft level plug issue   Driveshaft level plug issue Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:54 am

In the event the torx method offered by Danmag doesn't work, we would try punches and hammers, with possibly heat and penetrant. This may sound crude however there are correct sizes and applications of these tools. Looking to achieve plug removal with minimal damage with no swarf entering the lube area.

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Driveshaft level plug issue   Driveshaft level plug issue Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:45 pm

Kel, it's funny you mention using such crude, but effective, methods. A couple evenings ago, I removed some stripped screws from the rear hub of a Yamaha Super Tenere for a guy on the Alaska Highway, using a hammer/chisel. He was returning from a trip to the Arctic Ocean, and had bearing issues, 200 miles from the nearest motorcycle shop.

Just use a light touch, and barely enough force. Oh, and hold your tongue just so.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driveshaft level plug issue   Driveshaft level plug issue Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Driveshaft level plug issue
Page 1 of 1