GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Weeping cylinder heads

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
daviscr5
Carlotto
Carlotto
daviscr5

Weeping cylinder heads Empty
PostSubject: Weeping cylinder heads   Weeping cylinder heads Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:28 pm

Hello Gents!

Both of my cylinder heads have started to weep a bit oil. Is this a huge PITA to fix?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Weeping cylinder heads   Weeping cylinder heads Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:26 pm

It depends where the leak is coming from. There are several likely leak points. You need to know which one it is before tackling it.

First off, try the really easy ones. The coolant banjo bolt on the side of the head facing the valley. If it’s loose it may be weepy. Next try the plugs in the coolant galleries. These are visible as small grub screws up in the fins below the exhaust header. If it is coming from the hole in the middle of the outside of the head just above the head gasket join it may be the o-ring/s that seal the plug tube between the head and the cambox/rocker carrier casting.
Back to top Go down
daviscr5
Carlotto
Carlotto
daviscr5

PostSubject: Re: Weeping cylinder heads   Weeping cylinder heads Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:16 am

Thanks Pete. I’ll check those out. I’d be amsurprised if the actual head gasket is leaking on both sides.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Weeping cylinder heads   Weeping cylinder heads Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:32 pm

It’s highly, highly unlikely to be the head gaskets. They are steel composite gaskets with a sealing coating on. It’s pretty much impossible for them to leak.
Back to top Go down
daviscr5
Carlotto
Carlotto
daviscr5

PostSubject: Re: Weeping cylinder heads   Weeping cylinder heads Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:58 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
It’s highly, highly unlikely to be the head gaskets. They are steel composite gaskets with a sealing coating on. It’s pretty much impossible for them to leak.

That's encouraging! My local mechanic immediately went into worst case scenario mode over the phone. "You'll need new rings, cylinders honed/bored or something, etc." Oh and then he said he's not willing to do it because he "doesn't have the resources" to work on a Guzzi... That being the case, I have it scheduled for a proper diagnosis at the Daytona Guzzi/Piaggio dealer. I did meet these guys during bike week and the lead mechanic has allegedly been working on Guzzis for over 20 years. He seemed like a competent mechanic and overall a really good guy (he loved my GRiSO - couldn't believe how clean it was). I'll follow up once I know more!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Weeping cylinder heads   Weeping cylinder heads Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:02 pm

If he isn’t to proud to ask for advice get him to email me. I’ve seen a lot of leaky 8V’s Laughing

I’ll PM you my email address.

JohnA and GrisoNoob like this post

Back to top Go down
daviscr5
Carlotto
Carlotto
daviscr5

PostSubject: Re: Weeping cylinder heads   Weeping cylinder heads Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:07 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
If he isn’t to proud to ask for advice get him to email me. I’ve seen a lot of leaky 8V’s Laughing

I’ll PM you my email address.

That's very generous of you Sir and I'm grateful for the offer! I'll definitely make the connection and encourage him to reach out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weeping cylinder heads   Weeping cylinder heads Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Weeping cylinder heads
Page 1 of 1