GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Replacing brake disks

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
motografando
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
motografando

Replacing brake disks Empty
PostSubject: Replacing brake disks   Replacing brake disks Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:50 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking about replacing front brake disks.
My 1100 currently has the six-pawl sunstar disks. They have a slight play in both longitudinal and axial verses. Anyway tends to lose brake power when very hot.
I think that the bike needs better disks, due to his weight. Disks with more than 6 pawls and, if possible, a slight more thickness.
Any suggestions? If possible, with gold plate Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://motografando.altervista.org/
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Replacing brake disks   Replacing brake disks Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:57 pm

There are lots of options out there. EBC make a nice disc, not cheap though. I know several folks who have fitted the cheap Chinese discs sold on eBay and they’ve had no issues with them, a couple of them were pretty hard riders too. I think the biggest issue with cheap discs is consistency. Some of them may be fine while others may be truly awful!
Back to top Go down
motografando
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
motografando

PostSubject: Re: Replacing brake disks   Replacing brake disks Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:25 pm

For sure i dont want to put my life in the hands of a cheap couple of chinese disks.
I prefer to install a well-reputed set, like a brembo, sunstar, or similar.
I want to know if some aprilia, ducati, guzzi or others have the same specs of the GRiSO so i can buy a spare couple for that model.
For example i sae that guzzi 1200 sport seems to have similar brembo disks but with more pawls and i think more thicker.
Also aprilia rsv seems compatible, or ducati 998/999?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Replacing brake disks   Replacing brake disks Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:50 am

I have early RSV-4 discs on my Yellow Bike. Mark had a set as well but the bobbins got loose on his I seem to remember? I’ve had no such problem but I really don’t use brakes hard any more. I’m old and my reactions and skills are well on the wane…. Laughing
Back to top Go down
motografando
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
motografando

PostSubject: Re: Replacing brake disks   Replacing brake disks Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:41 am

Pete Roper wrote:
I have early RSV-4 discs on my Yellow Bike. Mark had a set as well but the bobbins got loose on his I seem to remember? I’ve had no such problem but I really don’t use brakes hard any more. I’m old and my reactions and skills are well on the wane…. Laughing

i believe that 4v and 2v rims and disks are not the same. different offset i think.

as said on my previous post, loose disk is the same problem i have, and a friend has the same problem on his shiver which has the same disks of mine.

like you i also don't use brakes really much hard but i bought the bike already in these conditions.
I think i still can do some kilometers before replacement, but not 30-40000 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Replacing brake disks   Replacing brake disks Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:05 am

To be honest I don’t know? Obviously the difference in the brakes between the 1100/850 Grisos and the 1200’s is the change from axial mount to radial mount calipers. The wheels themselves are all dimensionally the same so any difference, as you say, will be in the offset.

The early 1200’s used Braking wave discs which on later models went to first an another wave disc and then to conventional circular Brembos. The early Braking discs were certainly thicker and therefore heavier on the 1200’s I had them and hated them! Laughing

Have you checked part numbers? That might help in cross referencing?
Back to top Go down
motografando
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
motografando

PostSubject: Re: Replacing brake disks   Replacing brake disks Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:28 pm

I saw an 850 with 9-pawls sunstars installed...so i m pretty sure that rsv disks would be fine 😁
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing brake disks   Replacing brake disks Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Replacing brake disks
Page 1 of 1