GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch

Go down 
+2
Pete Roper
GhostBullet
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GhostBullet
Biondino
Biondino
GhostBullet

Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch Empty
PostSubject: Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch   Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:10 am

Everything is working just fine, but to stay on the right side of operation, its good to replace the brake fluid. The clutch has often been neglected, and done every few years.  but prob the one that should be put on the annual job list, given the line runs by the hot engine.
Below a video of the task completed this weekend.
On my 2006 GRiSO with nearly 204,000km on the clock.

Richard and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch   Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:43 am

As I keep ranting on about. The clutch fluid takes a real beating. I don’t think it is heat related to be honest because the fluid in the reservoir darkens really stupidly quickly and it’s not like the fluid circulates. It only moves by a centimetre or so even at full stroke.

What causes it to degrade so quickly I have no idea? The Cali 1400 uses a master cylinder effectively identical to that used on the CARC bikes. The only difference being the shape of the reservoir really. Also the 1400’s have ABS so a lot more and longer fluid paths. (Shrug?) V11’s also kill their clutch fluid in no time. As I said. I have no explanation. It’s just a *Thing*.

GhostBullet likes this post

Back to top Go down
GhostBullet
Biondino
Biondino
GhostBullet

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch   Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:53 am

A mate with the 1200 8v sport has had the same issue with his going black.
I will make a note and take a look and possibly a change in 6 months, see how much is visually degraded. Noticed nothing in terms of the clutch operation.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch   Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:33 am

The reservoir on the GRiSO doesn't have a bellows to follow the fluid, but rather a shitty vented rubber cover masquerading as a bellows. It allows a little puff of ambient air in every time you use the clutch.

I'd bet those who've changed to radial master cylinders don't see this problem.

GhostBullet and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch   Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:47 am

I take the cover off mine every 6 months and suck out the fluid and replace it rather than bleeding the whole system. I only ride about 3,000 miles per year…..
Been working for me. Fluid is dirty each time but not black.

GhostBullet and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch   Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:33 am

rick pope wrote:
The reservoir on the GRiSO doesn't have a bellows to follow the fluid, but rather a shitty vented rubber cover masquerading as a bellows.  It allows a little puff of ambient air in every time you use the clutch.

I agree Rick

the rubber cover over the fluid looks like a bellows but it seems to suck away from the joint face with the master cylinder lid leading to instant fluid pollution Sad

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch   Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:29 pm

rick pope wrote:

You'd lose that bet.

An old pic, from when I still had the clear reservoirs.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch   Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:29 pm

Beetle, you sound like my wife. I'm usually wrong in any discussion with her.

Does the pictured reservoir have a bellows type seal?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch   Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:33 pm

Yup, they are standard Brembo ‘Piss Cups’ on the RCS’s
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch   Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Replacing the front pads and Fluid for Brakes and Clutch
Page 1 of 1