GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix

Go down 
+6
beetle
PDandy
Motoguzzimackers
Pete Roper
Oz1200Guzzi
850-Nero
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
850-Nero
Carlotto
Carlotto
850-Nero

GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2024 10:55 pm

Hi all,

Ive been having the classic startus interuptus issues (will only start when battery is just off the charger or after a recent ride).

Ive seen the two main fixes shown here (upgraded fused link direct from starter relay to +) and the other version (the extra relay down near the starter).

Im not confident with electrics so i thought id try the upgraded link to the relay first!

That said i cant work out which relay and wire is the correct one? - the 850 relays appear wired differently and dont look the same as the 1100? (compared to the thisoldtractor schematic)

Any help is much appreciated Thumbs Up

Here are the relays - third from front appears different also?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2024 11:11 pm

Looks like "a" fix has been attempted with the 2nd relay from the right. Look at the yellow wire - this is the one the startus interruptus fix connects to.

Before you go much further, check several things:
- the 1st is the main earthing point under the plastic cover for the starter motor, this may be loose or corroded;
- Move the main earthing point to one of the clutch housing bolts - this will be a better position as the original mounting stud is not a great one

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
850-Nero
Carlotto
Carlotto
850-Nero

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Fri May 31, 2024 1:27 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Looks like "a" fix has been attempted with the 2nd relay from the right. Look at the yellow wire - this is the one the startus interruptus fix connects to.

Before you go much further, check several things:
- the 1st is the main earthing point under the plastic cover for the starter motor, this may be loose or corroded;
- Move the main earthing point to one of the clutch housing bolts - this will be a better position as the original mounting stud is not a great one

Thanks for the advice Tony - i will check the earth tomorrow.

Regarding the yellow wire - i had thought that might be the case but it appears to be the original harness wire (not a additional wire) and following back to the positive battery terminal there doesnt appear to be an additional wire?

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Fri May 31, 2024 2:42 am

What battery are you running? If recently replaced? What was in it before?

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
850-Nero
Carlotto
Carlotto
850-Nero

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Fri May 31, 2024 3:04 am

Pete Roper wrote:
What battery are you running? If recently replaced? What was in it before?

Hey Pete - its this one motobatt MBTX16U

Says it is 250 CCA .. forget the previous one but was physically smaller than this
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Fri May 31, 2024 4:35 am

16 amp hour is too small. Use of a marginal battery of lower CCA, (And most of the claimed CCA’s are shit.) for any time leads to burnt contacts on relays and the solenoid.

The problem we have in Oz is that nobody sells a 20AH battery of the right dimensions any more so the best we can get in LA is 18 AH as far as I know.

In all honesty I think the best we can do is go to LiFe. But if your relay or solenoid contacts are already burnt the bigger CCA battery is unlikely to help.

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
Motoguzzimackers
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Motoguzzimackers

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:44 pm

I recently posted Julian Franck's startus interuptus solution from Gambalunga, parts 1 & 2, on the MGCoVs FB page, in the Files section. Worth checking out.

850-Nero likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://motoguzzimackers.com/
PDandy
Carlotto
Carlotto
PDandy

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:04 pm

Motoguzzimackers wrote:
I recently posted Julian Franck's startus interuptus solution from Gambalunga, parts 1 & 2, on the MGCoVs FB page, in the Files section. Worth checking out.

Any chance of posting it here? I went looking through their files section and couldn't find it, thankfully it's only 2 days since your post (s) so I could scroll down...and still not be able to down load the jpeg. Embarassed

Maybe it's just me, but faceplant sucks as a future respurce.
Back to top Go down
850-Nero
Carlotto
Carlotto
850-Nero

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:07 am

Motoguzzimackers wrote:

Thanks ! I can see your post on there but having the same issue with Facebook - can't see it!
Back to top Go down
850-Nero
Carlotto
Carlotto
850-Nero

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:10 am

Pete Roper wrote:
16 amp hour is too small. Use of a marginal battery of lower CCA, (And most of the claimed CCA’s are shit.) for any time leads to burnt contacts on relays and the solenoid.

The problem we have in Oz is that nobody sells a 20AH battery of the right dimensions any more so the best we can get in LA is 18 AH as far as I know.

In all honesty I think the best we can do is go to LiFe. But if your relay or solenoid contacts are already burnt the bigger CCA battery is unlikely to help.

Yep went through quite a bit of hassle just to get the one that's in there now. I wish I had just got a lithium one in the first place!
Back to top Go down
850-Nero
Carlotto
Carlotto
850-Nero

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:08 am

@motoguzzimackers here's the docs you posted. Looks good but no idea how to do this on the GRiSO!

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:34 am

That’s a nice solution. I hadn’t considered such a thing but there again I’ve never needed it.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:29 pm

8V models don't have the pre-setting sockets. You would need to cut/modify the loom.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
motoman
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
motoman

PostSubject: Starting    GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:21 pm

In my VERY humble opinion,
Forget all this crap,
and get a Bosch starter/solenoid.

Problem solved. I am speaking from experience.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:58 pm

What? One of the old type used on ‘70’-80’s bikes? Considerably less cranking torque and just as prone to scorched solenoid contacts. Also they’re all thirty or more years old and won’t tackle the underlying problem.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:26 pm

It's a simple solution. Install the MPH fix (or your own DIY version), and maintain your battery. Do not skimp on your battery. Do NOT install a cheap battery. Don't be that Guzzi owner.

Simples.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

mphcycles and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
motoman
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
motoman

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:47 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
What? One of the old type used on ‘70’-80’s bikes? Considerably less cranking torque and just as prone to scorched solenoid contacts. Also they’re all thirty or more years old and won’t tackle the underlying problem.

No, one of the newer ones. They're also used on some cars..Got it from EME.

I've been through all of this on my 8V Valeo OEM, and as soon as I replaced it problems disappeared.

This problem has been going on forever.

YMMV.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:18 pm

Interesting, could be a good substitute for the old Valeo starter, @motoman do you have a link for that Bosch starter, and was it a straight swap install?

motoman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Will Skid
Carlotto
Carlotto
Will Skid

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:25 am

Breva has same problem. Same loom most likely. I made this loom extension, same relay, no cut wires, problem solved. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

850-Nero likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:44 am

Pete Roper wrote:
That’s a nice solution. I hadn’t considered such a thing but there again I’ve never needed it.

Comes on my 1200 Sport (2007) - doesn't help if your battery is not good enough, just stop sthe voltage to the ECU dropping below what it thinks it needs
Back to top Go down
motoman
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
motoman

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:52 am

Speedfrog wrote:
Interesting, could be a good substitute for the old Valeo starter, @motoman do you have a link for that Bosch starter, and was it a straight swap install?

Straight swap on my 1200 8V..

BOSCH 05730730.     2006- on...

The Bosch Part number may have been superseded by: (#97729R)

Last edited by motoman on Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:05 am

Good info thanks. I’ll see if they’re available here in Oz.
Back to top Go down
850-Nero
Carlotto
Carlotto
850-Nero

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:56 am

I made up the relay bypass. Works fine but hasn't fixed the issue unfortunately. Looks like I'll be going to a lithium....
Back to top Go down
motoman
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
motoman

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:23 pm

850-Nero wrote:
I made up the relay bypass. Works fine but hasn't fixed the issue unfortunately. Looks like I'll be going to a lithium....

I am sorry to hear this. But IMHO, trying to overcome the problem with more battery power is not the answer. I think there's something inherently wrong with the Valeo Starter/Solenoid, possibly the lubricant drying up. You should not need extreme power to start the bike. I hope you will try the Bosch Starter before you go out and buy a Lithium battery. THEN go buy a lithium battery. They are very good batteries. I prefer Anti-Gravity.

850-Nero likes this post

Back to top Go down
whitmire
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
whitmire

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:54 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:

Comes on my 1200 Sport (2007) - doesn't help if your battery is not good enough, just stop sthe voltage to the ECU dropping below what it thinks it needs

The capacitor & diode upgrade/fix certainly straightened out my 2008 1200 Sport.All three of my Guzzis have the same big Shorai batterys & Shorai chargers but only the Sport is the one that developed the "click/no start" syndrome lately unless you charge up the battery to the max just before you start it.Bought a new Valeo starter from EME just to eliminate the starter as a potential issue(you can't check the solenoid contacts on the original Bosch starter),swapped batteries around between scooters,Sport already had heavy duty relay bypass when I got it(2017,24k miles,29k now).Now it will sit for weeks without any charger on it at all & cranks right up absolutely perfectly,could not be better. I installed the fix on my Norge & GRiSO also because like you say it looks like a good idea to keep voltage up at ECU & the plugs are already there.Guzzi should have installed them from factory to avoid a lot of pain & grief but oh well,interesting lesson learned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix   GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO 850 relays and starting fix
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next