GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Spark plug tube oil leak: Round five

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Spark plug tube oil leak:  Round five Empty
PostSubject: Spark plug tube oil leak: Round five   Spark plug tube oil leak:  Round five Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:12 pm

As previously noted my left side spark plug tube has leaked, almost from new. My latest go round included a new tube from AF1 accompanied by new o-rings. At the end of a 1/2 hour ride the first oil spot appeared on my boot.

I have the tube of three bond ready for the next try as Pete Roper has suggested putting a "thin film" on the tube. Sigh...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube oil leak: Round five   Spark plug tube oil leak:  Round five Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:37 pm

I have had two porous heads on 8V's in six years so its rare but is a possibility.

Before panicking though remove both O-rings and clean their grooves carefully with a q-tip soaked in metho and then install the rings with a thin coating of rubber grease. After this do the thin smear of Threebond 1211 on the bottom of the tube and wriggle it home carefully. The top one rarely leaks so I avoid puting sealant on it unless I have to as it can create more problems than it solves.

Pete
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube oil leak: Round five   Spark plug tube oil leak:  Round five Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:40 am

Pete Roper wrote:
I have had two porous heads on 8V's in six years so its rare but is a possibility.
Before panicking though remove both O-rings and clean their grooves carefully with a q-tip soaked in metho and then install the rings with a thin coating of rubber grease. After this do the thin smear of Threebond 1211 on the bottom of the tube and wriggle it home carefully. The top one rarely leaks so I avoid putting sealant on it unless I have to as it can create more problems than it solves.
Pete

Thanks Pete, the right side has never had an issue so I was also thinking that the casting or machining was not up to snuff.

When the bike was under warranty my local dealer stopped the leak temporally with some sort of white stringy goop. It didn't look pretty when I cleaned it up for round 3.

If the threebond can get me through a season I will call it a win. DW
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube oil leak: Round five   Spark plug tube oil leak:  Round five Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:26 pm

I just took the bike for a 60 mile jaunt and it seems the O-ring is sealing better with time. No oil on my boot and very little on the fins.

The three-bond is back in the drawer and the next round is on hold while further testing continues.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube oil leak: Round five   Spark plug tube oil leak:  Round five Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:40 pm

Took the bike for a thrash after the latest map from Mark.  It's not just a great map, my leak is completely gone.

It's a floor wax and a dessert topping!  https://screen.yahoo.com/shimmer-floor-wax-000000185.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube oil leak: Round five   Spark plug tube oil leak:  Round five Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Spark plug tube oil leak: Round five
Page 1 of 1