GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Summer Ride - VA to PEI

Go down 
+5
sideshowbob
Street
Bill Hagan
Pisano
Bulldog9
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

Summer Ride - VA to PEI Empty
PostSubject: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Tue May 29, 2018 2:01 pm

Planning a trip this summer from Northern VA to Novascotia and Prince Edward Island this August. Will be myself and a long time riding buddy. He on his FJR and me on the Norge. I have 6-7 days for the trip..... Planning on 18-25 August.

**GRiSO Content** I'd ove to take the GRiSO, but as I'm munching many miles and long days, I think my 54 year old airframe will appreciate the better wind protection. I do plan a couple shorter 1-2 day trips on the GRiSO, and LOTS of day trips.

Due to the sheer distance between VA & PEI, we want to do 12-13 hour days on each end, and 3-4 days in between. Definitely plan to avoid the 95 Corridor as much as possible, but distance means super-slab is a reality for good portions of the trip. My initial plan is:

Day 1- VA to Portland ME VIA Frederick MD, Harrisburg PA, Scranton PA, Binghampton NY, Albany NY, (basically 81 to 88) Then pop across New Hampshire on 9 and 202 up into Portland on 202.

Day 2 - A Ferry to Yarmouth NS (9 hours)
Day 2 - B. Fastest Route to PEI (8 hours)

Day 3 - A - Ride/Explore NS working towards PEI (8 hours)
Day 3 - B - Ride/explore PEI working towards NS (8 hours)

Day 4 - A - Ride/explore PEI (8 hours)
Day 4 - B - Ride/Explore NS (8 hours)

Day 5 - A - Ride from PEI to Quebec along the north side of ST Lawrence Seaway (11 hrs)
Day 5 - B - Ferry to Portland (9 hrs)

Day 6 - A - Stay on 40/401 from Quebec through Montreal, and cross into US at Selton, and drop down 81 Back Home. (12 hrs)
Day 6 - B - Portland to VA VIA same/similar route (12 Hrs)

I'm leaning towards Option A, and thinking that I need to add another day into the mix... I've always wanted to take that Portland Ferry, and also to ride along the ST Lawrence Seaway.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice..
Back to top Go down
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Tue May 29, 2018 7:18 pm

Hey bulldog9

I love your signature with the flat track picture

I have a little advice based on a lot of experience driving the 40/401 west of Montreal and that is to avoid it on a motorcycle

Its straight boring road with few points of interest and a lot of transport trucks.

I would suggest if time permits on your return to head south of trois rivieres on the 55/91( much better senery and your Norge will love you) into the states and avoid going through Montreal on the 40. Nothing to see on the 40 but industrial plants and potiential heavy montreal traffic.

If you need to go to the 401 bypass montreal via the new hwy 30

Good luck planning your trip

Oh and when in PEI I have a fantastic lobster dinner place i really enjoyed . I can get the name of it for you.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 6:01 am

Ambitious.

Just back from a 1544-mile to Kentucky.  All back roads.  On Norge.  

It ran flawlessly, but I'm beat from yesterday's 400, so your book-end days made me ache to think about 'em.  OTOH, you're a young fella.  Wink  

On a (barely) related note, spent Monday night in Maysville, Kentucky.  A bunch of Ontario Harleyists were there.  Good folks.  Likely WET now as they were headed to Gatlinburg.  Sad

Anyway, I got to the next-door restaurant before they did.  Gave the (cute, perky, & game) hostess $10 to tell the others that, "I'm sorry; we don't serve Canadians here."  Priceless.   cheers

Bill

[Yes, Street, pix of that meal and others -- especially the mmmmutton!  -- coming.]
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 10:40 am

If Bill Hagan were a crow...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.
When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.” - Neil Peart

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Pisano
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pisano

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 4:01 pm

The difference between a Canoe and a Canadian is that Canadians Don't tip.

You did well Bill in giving that waitress 10 bucks in advance
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 4:12 pm

It's always in good taste to tip the cuties.... lol

Pisano wrote:

The difference between a Canoe and a Canadian is that Canadians Don't tip.

You did well Bill in giving that waitress 10 bucks in advance

Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Wed May 30, 2018 4:19 pm

Hell with the tip. I prefer to give em the whole thing!
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Thu May 31, 2018 12:33 pm

Bulldog9,

There is a nice bar and restaurant on PEI that was the old catholic church rectory so it's right behind the church (down by the water front area where they hold activities and have other establishments. I think it's actually on Beer Street......Its a large Cathedral looking church
You are very adventuresome with the distance you'll be going. Best of luck to you. I'm jealous.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:11 pm

sideshowbob wrote:
Hell with the tip. I prefer to give em the whole thing!
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Tipping, what's that ?
Back to top Go down
bCraig
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bCraig

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:15 pm

Hey Bulldog .... I'm in Truro Nova Scotia , if you end up using ferry to Yarmouth NS , you will have to pass by here , might be cool to meet up , maybe point you in direction of some nice roads , PEI via bridge is 3 hrs from my house and unlike the boat it always ( almost ) running .... the Island is nice but pretty flat and very crowded during tourist season when you heading over there , no speed limits over 90kmh , Cape Breton Island with it's Cabot Trail is much better in my opinion ( it's a couple hrs more getting there ).... anyway feel free to contact me as your trip gets closer , are you camping ?
Craig
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:16 pm

wardentm wrote:
Tipping, what's that ?

I think it's a small village in Quaijong Province...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summer Ride - VA to PEI   Summer Ride - VA to PEI Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Summer Ride - VA to PEI
Page 1 of 1