GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stelvio good or bad

Go down 
+10
Andy in NZ
keenerkeen07
boxerscott
Steak
pauldaytona
Guzzi Cat
beetle
Pete Roper
Papa Lazarou
waterbottle
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Stelvio good or bad  Empty
PostSubject: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:32 pm

Asking the question, my loving bride of 32 years can't sit on the GRiSO for more than an hour, so instead of looking at re-upholstering seats and footpeg heights etc, how about a Stelvio ????? 
 Bigger passsanger seat, 32 litres fuel capacity, ugly boxy baggage containers, ........... What's not to love ?
The bike I'm looking at is at a dealer in Melbourne Australia, 7000 km, It's the 1200 8V, 2012 alloy wheels model. 
Thoughts ............. Oh it's at A1 motorcycles east Melbourne . Bog stock , no mods ............. Yet
No , I will never ever sell the GRiSO's, this would be a  add on to the 8V obsession  cheers
Thoughts ........... Tassie trip ........
Ps. Mark, have you a map for a stock 2012 Stelvio ?

Last edited by waterbottle on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Fly, .................... ride, .................... and if I go you get a free (?) ride home.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:26 am

Stelvio's are great bikes. Perfectly balanced. very comfortable.

However, for supreme comfort, how about a Norge?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:45 am

Find out if it's a flat or roller bike. Some time in mid 2012 was the swap over point. You know why getting the right one is important.

Other than that? Great bikes. Tall, but shouldn't be a problem for youse. Fork parts will become an issue eventually but same with Norge, 1200 Sport or any of the other Marzocchi forked bikes. I'm currently on the hunt for a 1200 Sport but I'd look at a Stelvio if one came up at the right price.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:40 am

waterbottle wrote:

Ps. Mark, have you a map for a stock 2012 Stelvio ?

But of course!

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:08 am

Fork parts will become an issue eventually

What a great excuse to fit a set of Ohlins off a Multistrada 1200S
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:37 am

The Stelvio is a perfect companion for the GRiSO, much more spacious and super comfort for a pillion. My wife finds it very comfortable on the back, She also finds the GRiSO too cramped and uncomfortable for a long spin after being used to the comfort of an FJR.

Mine is a 2013 reg but is the 2011 build year model, orange 8v with cast wheels and Norge type luggage. (luggage is a bit flimsy but I am not a fan of the big NTX type boxes even though they are probably way stronger and more practical)
I have had it for over a year and a half now and it has been bullet proof. I greased the swing arm and that's it. The fueling is damn good as it is but I do plan on a Beetle map at some stage. I also lucked out because it had already being Rollerised, so make sure to check!! I did consider getting a Norge but it was a little too similar to the two FJR,s that I had (too much plastic) and I am very happy with the handling and comfort of the Stelvio. It is tall and heavy but when she starts to roll you don't feel it.

We are having the Stelvio shipped to southern Germany in June where we plan a two week trip around parts of southern Germany, Slovenia, and northern Italy.  And of course we will have to take the big orange goose back to Mandello del lario to have the mandatory picture taking outside the big red door of her birth place. There is no way I would be able to do that trip if the Mrs. was on the back of the GRiSO. Very Happy

Good luck with it Waterbottle, if you decide to purchase I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:02 am

I have one from 2009, and it has done 60K km without problems. It's my long distance traveler. With wife at the back too. Very much comfort. Last year one day with 1200km, and no pain, pretty easy
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:45 pm

I'll chime in with the others. The Stelvio is a fine companion bike to the GRiSO and a far superior 2-up tourer. It doesn't put the same smile on my face as the GRiSO, but I've put far more miles on the Stelvio since getting it. The GRiSO is still my bike of choice for ripping around, but if I'm touring or camping the Stelvio gets the nod.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:21 pm

It`s a big motherfcuker, top heavy , you need to be 6ft at least to have your plates firmly planted. Comfy yes, two up.. obviously. The Capo is a better buy imho. I was seriously looking at a Stelv and would have bought it if someone had not gazumped me. I would have been happy with it as a two upper but there is no way I would be tempted to plug about on it solo. Does not have the same kudo as the GRiSO as much as you try to fool yourself.

Never read a bad review about it.

Chris

Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Hey, don't hurt "Fat GRiSO's" feelings  Laughing
I spent 4 days on it straight after purchase. First thoughts were, " what the hell have I let myself in for " But by the time I got to Beetles place I had it all sorted Thumbs Up sure it's not as fast as GRiSO, but in the twisty's I'm sure I can keep up with myself on the GRiSO, it handles great, I was suprised to see the rear tyre scrubbed right to the edge Shocked
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 pm

fUNNY this i have been considering one as well ...2015 Wink

thought to sell my car and buy one this spring ..
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:10 pm

fUNNY this i have been considering one as well ...2015 Wink

thought to sell my car and buy one this spring ..
Back to top Go down
Andy in NZ
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Andy in NZ

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:12 pm

The Stelvio would be a great choice.
I enjoy having a "big traillie" or chook chaser as a garage companion to the GRiSO.
Ive had my Cagiva Navigator for about 6 years and the wife and I find it more comfortable for long distance and bad weather than the GRiSO.
Mind you Ive just bought a KTM 640 enduro for a farm bike (yes it works well chasing sheep and cows) and serious adventure roads. I'm almost used to the left leg kick start too. It now only bites occasionally.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:05 pm

SO ..has the Stelvio changed that much over the years , i found one a 2013 NTX.... 20,000 km looks to be in good nic  , wondering if its close or the same as a 2016 ?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:52 am

Basically the same machine. As a 2013 it will be rollers ex factory. Go for it!
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:28 pm

ok so tomorrow i am going to check this 2013 ntx out 15000km comes with all the stock farkles less the rear box , but hes added a Hepco Becker off a Buell Ulley instead.
Cant ride the bike as its still winter here but i can hear her run etc, being a 2013 its rollered or should be..
thing is is there anything else i can check out while there, Seems like a good fellow wants to sell the Stelvio because he likes his Ulley better ....go figure ...
reasonable asking price at $8000 CDN will barter for cash.. new they are $17k

Back to top Go down
smdl
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
smdl

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:08 pm

keenerkeen07 wrote:
ok so tomorrow i am going to check this 2013 ntx out 15000km  comes with all the stock farkles less the rear box , but hes added a Hepco Becker off a Buell Ulley instead.
Cant ride the bike as its still winter here but i can hear her run etc, being a 2013 its rollered  or should be..
thing is is there anything else i can check out while there, Seems like a good fellow wants to sell the Stelvio because he likes his Ulley better ....go figure ...

That seems a very reasonable price to ask for a 2013 Stelvio. Also, the top box didn't come as standard -- it has always been an option.

Naturally, look for any evidence of crash damage, as well as any unusual noises when running (discounting the normal Guzzi unusual noises, of course. Very Happy ). Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Shaun
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:07 pm

If you are not familiar with 8V sounds then check another out first.
Compared to an old 2 valver there is whole lot more going on in the top end.

It's a totally different symphony orchestra playing in a another key.
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:44 am

keenerkeen07 wrote:

Hmmm... that is almost too cheap... Perhaps better wait for better weather so you can take a test-drive?
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:23 pm

bioman wrote:
keenerkeen07 wrote:

Hmmm... that is almost too cheap...  Perhaps better wait for better weather so you can take a test-drive?

It's a Moto Guzzi, there's not much you can hide. That's a fair price, I paid $9K for my 2013 a year and a half ago. If the seller is motivated to move it along, all the better for the buyer. Strike while the iron is hot!

Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:46 pm

boxerscott wrote:
It`s a big motherfcuker, top heavy , you need to be 6ft at least to have your plates firmly planted. Comfy yes, two up.. obviously. The Capo is a better buy imho. I was seriously looking at a Stelv and would have bought it if someone had not gazumped me. I would have been happy with it as a two upper but there is no way I would be tempted to plug about on it solo. Does not have the same kudo as the GRiSO as much as you try to fool yourself.

Never read a bad review about it.

Chris

I'm a mere 5' 10" and managed to ride a 2016 Stelvio easily, including putting both feet down.

Is the Aprilia Capanord the better bike? Probably.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Moto International here in Seattle probably sold 5 Stelvios for every 1 Caponord.  Dave told me virtually everyone who test rode both would opt for the Stelvio.

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:38 pm

Man is this true................. I much prefer the sounds of my GRiSO 1100 over my 8V Norge.... Marbles in a can anyone??

ghezzi wrote:
If you are not familiar with 8V sounds then check another out first.
Compared to an old 2 valver there is whole lot more going on in the top end.

It's a totally different symphony orchestra playing in a another key.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Steak wrote:
Moto International here in Seattle probably sold 5 Stelvios for every 1 Caponord.  Dave told me virtually everyone who test rode both would opt for the Stelvio.

Caponard is nice but has 1/4 the character of the Stelvio. All in what you want.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stelvio good or bad    Stelvio good or bad  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stelvio good or bad
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next