GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA

Go down 
+3
Bill Hagan
bobw
rustyrotor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Empty
PostSubject: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 6:35 am

Definitely looks like it's mainly a scooter shop, which of course brings out all my worst biases. Yes, I'll own it, I am a scooter bigot.
I'm also with South Park when it comes to Harleys.

Anyway, BAM, there it is, a 'dealership' within a perfectly reasonable distance.

So. What if anything has anyone heard? Does anyone know any of the owners or techs, or about them?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
bobw
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
bobw

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 7:14 am

I had asked members here and on other sites about area shops as so many have sadly disapeared.

I have not been there, but contacted a guzzista that lives near LaMoto. He said they seemed like good guys and they also worked on older guzzi's. He said he would not hesitate to buy there. They do have some good prices listed.

The shop in Richmond was given several atta boys for both warranty and regular repairs too.

Very little feedback to be found outside some of the old standby shops around the country, so hopefully no news is good news.

Bill Hagan may have insights and I would pm him if you have doubts after a visit.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 7:34 am

bobw wrote:
I had asked members here and on other sites about area shops as so many have sadly disapeared.

I have not been there, but contacted a guzzista that lives near LaMoto. He said they seemed like good guys and they also worked on older guzzi's. He said he would not hesitate to buy there. They do have some good prices listed.

The shop in Richmond was given several atta boys for both warranty and regular repairs too.

Very little feedback to be found outside some of the old standby shops around the country, so hopefully no news is good news.

Bill Hagan may have insights and I would pm him if you have doubts after a visit.

Good luck.

Howdy all.

Back from Atlanta.  [BTW, rusty, you see my mercato post re your (or Pete's) GRiSO?  Wink ]

Not sure about wrenching, but muzhik was decidedly unimpressed with the sales side of that house, and posted about that here.

I am a very big fan of Winchester Motorsports.  Not a boutiquey sort of place, no scooters except occasional consignments, but a superior wrench and ditto the counter, service, and pats guy.  Both named "Mike."   Very Happy

Bill

P.S. I, too, like scooters, but they "don't fit" out here in the boonies.
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 7:59 am

Biiiillll! I love reading your reports buddy! You are living the life. Glad to hear that things continue to go well at Winchester...Too bad about GF!

If I can't get this (more sorted all the time) bike into a good home,
then I need to take it to Winchester. Um, so, what percentage of bikes like mine need rollerization? That can be my touchstone when I go see La Moto...If they look at me funny, I am gone.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 8:29 am

rustyrotor wrote:
Biiiillll! I love reading your reports buddy! You are living the life. Glad to hear that things continue to go well at Winchester...Too bad about GF!

If I can't get this (more sorted all the time) bike into a good home,
then I need to take it to Winchester. Um, so, what percentage of bikes like mine need rollerization? That can be my touchstone when I go see La Moto...If they look at me funny, I am gone.

Yes, life is good.  Better than I deserve.  Wink

Many pix of my latest "Men & Motton & More" adventure here soon.   Very Happy

But, sadly, 100% of flat tappet motors -- as is yours -- will need to be "rollerized."

And La Moto just might look at you "funny."  Rolling Eyes

OTOH, Mike the Wrench at WMS has already done that work.  My buds -- Larry LaHue and John Wells -- have theirs there now for that.

Bill
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 8:33 am

Well, you'll have to tell me when you are around, as it seems my best bet, as you've told me, and told me, is Win...Maybe we can coordinate to meet up when I drop off. No more visits to GF?
Not helping the kids with the move? Don't blame you if you don't!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 8:39 am

Yup, sorry to say but the flat tappet failure rate, regardless of what shops, importers or the factory will say or admit is 100% and it pains me to say it as I defended the design for years because I didn't see a problem and therefore a pattern. I was wrong. As I've said elsewhere it's only very small people who can't admit to being wrong.

Pete
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 8:45 am

Is there a write-up on the board, up to date and comprehensive, as to Piaggios's current policy, and how to get Piaggio to fix this? The magic words to say, or place and manner for claims?
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 8:58 am

rustyrotor wrote:
Is there a write-up on the board, up to date and comprehensive, as to Piaggios's current policy, and how to get Piaggio to fix this? The magic words to say, or place and manner for claims?

Yes, the details are here and on other boards ad nauseum.

But the short version is that the dealer handle this for you.

Call me at convenience for details, Four-Zero-Four 808-8686

Gotta go unpack for trip and get ready for Retreat and a G&T. OK, it's a bit early, but I can dream. jocolor

Bill

Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 9:31 am

Ill give you a buzz after I hit la moto. saddling up now. never too early for GT...have you had Monkey 47? Pricey, worth it. Off I go, light a candle to the GRiSO gods for me. This will be my longest ride in over a year. to arlington. sheesh
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Thu May 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Mmmmmm, yeah. I got looked at funny. I am kinda funny looking so who knows.

I think I will confine my commentary to PM. Anyone wants to know, ask.

The bike is leaking oil again. Stumbling a little at idle. Seems to run a little differently every time I start it. It's tipping in funny too, but that could be me.

But the blinkers are working great!
Back to top Go down
muzhik
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
muzhik

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Fri May 27, 2016 8:35 am

Sorry I'm late to the party. I'd steer clear of those clowns. For sales, I'd throw my money at Walter up in PA at Europa Macchina. For service, I'd go to Winchester.

All that being said, I ultimately didn't wind up getting a GRiSO after all - so my opinion is based on reputation coupled with my impression of the dealerships and folks I dealt with ONLY. It is not based on experience with any service department.
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Fri May 27, 2016 8:46 am

I WAS impressed by how much they didnt care about impressing me...Sometimes that's a good thing. On other occasions, such as retail...
Back to top Go down
Grappa Goose
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Grappa Goose

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi All,
It's been a while since i've posted anything and i feel bad about it. this is an awesome forum, i just wish i had more to contribute ;-(

I took my '13 GRiSO 8V to Winchester Motosports for an oil leaking around the cylinder heads issue last year, I recall Bill recommending them. Carl is a solid guy and Mike the mechanic has a great reputation and both were very nice to deal with--no complaints at all!

But when it came time for the initial break-in service (900mi?) I took my bike to La Moto in Arlington, VA. It's just soooo darn convenient! It's 10 miles away from my house vs. 60 miles to Winchester. I also wanted to support the local MG shop in the hope that they stick around, Washington DC could use a Guzzi dealer/service center! From my position, i had a good experience--they were nice to talk to, they performed the work that needed doing, put the proper fluids in--I assume... but now you guys have me second guessing!

Unlike most on this forum I have a very modest knowledge of these new fangled bikes... i look at the GRiSO, it's wires, hoses & high-tech gadgetry with a slack jaw & a blank f'n stare! whatever goes on in there is a great mystery to this lesser mortal.

also, i have no idea what rollerizing is... do i need to have this done?

Thanks!
John
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:13 pm

If your bike s a '13 then almost certainly not. From mid 2012 all models apart from Sport 1200's which you don't get in the US were sold with rollers ex-factory. If you want to be certain whip a rocker cover off for a look.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grappa Goose
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Grappa Goose

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks Pete!
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:38 am

muzhik wrote:
For sales, I'd throw my money at Walter up in PA at Europa Macchina.  For service, I'd go to Winchester.

That;s where I bought mine, and I had them do the break-in service. It's a bit of a hike, but on the plus side I could wait in their kitchen area and do some work while it was done; i.e. they didn't mind scheduling an actual day / time they'd do the work as opposed to "drop it off and we'll call you when it's done". This was just the initial service mind you, not anything like what you might need. Still it shows they are easy to work with.

Talked a bit with their Guzzi mechanic and he was a knowledgeable guy and friendly, so I would trust him for further work on mine.

Winchester (formerly DucPond) has been around for years and I've had them work on my Ducati 900SS. I'm sure any work they'd do on Guzzis would be well done.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:58 am

tocino wrote:
muzhik wrote:
For sales, I'd throw my money at Walter up in PA at Europa Macchina.  For service, I'd go to Winchester.

That;s where I bought mine, and I had them do the break-in service. It's a bit of a hike, but on the plus side I could wait in their kitchen area and do some work while it was done; i.e. they didn't mind scheduling an actual day / time they'd do the work as opposed to "drop it off and we'll call you when it's done". This was just the initial service mind you, not anything like what you might need. Still it shows they are easy to work with.

Talked a bit with their Guzzi mechanic and he was a knowledgeable guy and friendly, so I would trust him for further work on mine.

Winchester (formerly DucPond) has been around for years and I've had them work on my Ducati 900SS. I'm sure any work they'd do on Guzzis would be well done.

Concur on positives with Europa Machine.

As for Winchester, so far as I know, there is no business connection between Winchester Motosports -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -- and Duc Pond Motorsports -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  The former are great Guzzi folks, the latter, only sell Bologna (products Very Happy ).  

I like both, btw.  Doc Pond is the only Ducati deal (and one of few of any brand) where one is greeted in a friendly way and, even after making clear "only looking" or buying a cheap & worthless part (for a Guzzi or whatever), the folks continue to be friendly.  All riders, too.

But Mike at WMS is a gifted Guzzi wrench and where I would take any Guzzi needing service near the top of Virginia.

Bill
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:10 am

Bill Hagan wrote:

As for Winchester, so far as I know, there is no business connection between Winchester Motosports -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -- and Duc Pond Motorsports -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  The former are great Guzzi folks, the latter, only sell Bologna (products Very Happy ).  

Whoops - you are absolutely correct. DucPond is now called Ducati Winchester, and is nothing to do with Winchester Motosports.

Nothing to see here...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA   Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Any reputation info, La Moto, Arlington VA
Page 1 of 1