GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Ralf's bike?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Ralf's bike? Empty
PostSubject: Ralf's bike?   Ralf's bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:19 pm

OK gang, since nobody seemed interested in turning it into a learning weekend I and my offsider, (A greasy little Slavo-Wog with far too many 'Z's in his name.) Michael have hoe'd into the dead Tasmanian Stelvio.

The poor thing was very much the worse for wear, especially at the front end.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

but a days work has reduced it to useable components. The damage to the timing chest covr didn't impinge on the engine internals, only the belt case.

This means that we hauled the lump onto the bench and swapped out the timing chest cover, pulled off the holed rocker cover and replaced it with another dodgy one, (We'll swap out Ralf's shiny ones after the donk is in his GRiSO.) and now it sitting happily on the bench.

Interesting to note that the 2009-on bikes use a plastic oil pump gear. Two reasons I'd guess, cost and noise. Might explain why early 8V's are so shockingly noisy!

And that leaves us with the remains of the poor old Stelvio! Its hanging off the engine crane looking for all the world like a dressed beef carcass! And yes, that shifty looking, greasy creature is Michael Very Happy

Anyway, Michael has to go off and fondle ungulants tomorrow, (Yeah, he's a part time farmer as well as a good mechanic.) so it'll be Monday before we chow down on Ralf's bike but with two of us on the case we expect to have it running again and ready to rumble by late Monday or early Tuesday!

We Rule!!!!! cheers

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Ralf's bike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ralf's bike?   Ralf's bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:39 pm

I'm going to the steaming fleshpots of arsehole of the world Canberra tomorrow. I might pop in and fondle it and make cooing sounds.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Ralf's bike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ralf's bike?   Ralf's bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:44 pm

No worries, I've got a bloke coming in about eleven with what I suspect are sticky disc bobbins on his 2014 Stelvio, Apart from that I'm simply going to be sitting around ordering more mink boxer shorts with all of the money I'm going to prize out of Ralf and any other unsuspecting sucker stupid enough to fall into the gravity well of my workshop! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down

Ralf's bike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ralf's bike?   Ralf's bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:12 pm

Pete, some of the Jap cruisers use plastic oil pump drives, they fail with devastating results.
Hope Mandello plastics are better made.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Ralf's bike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ralf's bike?   Ralf's bike? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:03 pm

Well the Stelvio donk is a 2009 so the change must of happened fairly early and I haven't heard of a plastic gear failing yet.

The steel gear is out of my very early A5 motor which I'd never been inside before its untimely demise. There are in fact a number of differences in the timing gear train that are insignificant but noteworthy. It is obvious that the motor was hurried into production and refinements continued to be developed and incorporated over a considerable period.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Ralf z

Ralf's bike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ralf's bike?   Ralf's bike? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:03 am

Well, I picked up my bike from Petes workshop today.
I took It for a 200 km loop ride then back to the pub for the night.
A big thank you to Pete and Micheal for getting it all sorted out the bike is going Awsum.
The bike was parked out the front of the pub totally covered in dirt and mud as I took a little dirt detour hat turned into road grading water trucks, you get the picture.
When this bloke was checking it out, looking at it confused.
I then introduced my self to Micheal, Petes offsider. He had a chuckle about how clean it was when he left it at the workshop.
So we had a few beers and a laugh.
Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ralf's bike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ralf's bike?   Ralf's bike? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Ralf's bike?
Page 1 of 1