GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

A tale of two 8V's

Go down 
+2
beetle
Pete Roper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

A tale of two 8V's Empty
PostSubject: A tale of two 8V's   A tale of two 8V's Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Case 1.)

Stelvio owner. Decides to fit a pair of O2 Sensor foolers to his bike, a 30 odd thousand Km 2013 model. This promotes massive overfuelling, oil degrades, tappets start to fail, gaps open up, he closes the gaps and keeps riding. Finally brings it to me when it has filled its airbox up with so much oil and fuel that it's dripping out of the throttle body spindles. Bike barely runs. Even though it's got some shity No Name oil filter on it and the crappy O2 sensor foolers ,which I'd advised against, I manage to scab a roller top end for it but on pulling a head I find huge damage to bores and rings are marginal. Also on puting it back together it is obvious that the cam chains are fucked but I try to get it right, pump up the tensioners manually and by spinning the motor on the starter with the plugs out. As soon as it Fire it jumps three teeth on the right cam sprocket and bends the inlets.

No other option now but a full 'Last nut and bolt' strip and rebuild. It'll cost thousands. The engine is close to being scrap.

Case 2.) Owner changes oil and filter in his bike, sets valves etc. starts bike and notices that it is running rough just off idle and spitting back through the TB's.

So he shuts it down and calls his mechanic who advises him to re-check the valves and if they have changed appreciably not to start the bike again but bring it to me. He checks the valves and finds they've all opened up, that's never happened before so he loads it onto a ute and brings it to Bungendore where his mechanic rips the camboxes off and, sure enough, the tappets and cams have just started to fail. Damage is contained and no harm is done. Owner also has full service history and only uses factory parts bought from yours truly so there will be no argument about warranty replacement.

As a bonus it turns out that his bike needs the kit I was sent wrongly first time around for the above mentioned Stelvio and I hadn't sent it back to the importer yet! Bonus.

Less than a day after he rolled it off his trailer and into the shop its repaired, up and running like a champ.

I think there is a lesson to be learnt from this. Well done Ralf Z. Doing the right thing isn't difficult and is a lot cheaper in the long run. Really!

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

A tale of two 8V's Empty
PostSubject: Re: A tale of two 8V's   A tale of two 8V's Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Way to go Ralf!

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Ralf z
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Ralf z

A tale of two 8V's Empty
PostSubject: Re: A tale of two 8V's   A tale of two 8V's Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:11 pm

Big thanks to Pete..
He offered me advice on my old v11 scurra years ago which I took on board.
He also offered me advice on tuning and oils and filters on the GRiSO which I took on board.
Lesson learnt!
Don't skimp and scrape on important items like the above mentioned,it's a cheap insurance.
Buy parts from your guzzi dealer/ mechanic,
Mine happens to be pete.
Sure I could save $4.75 for a oil filter off a 1989 fiat bambino cause it fits but I'm happy to give my custom to a guy that does this for a living and also gives out free great advice.✌️
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

A tale of two 8V's Empty
PostSubject: Re: A tale of two 8V's   A tale of two 8V's Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:27 am

Being cheap can be expensive.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

A tale of two 8V's Empty
PostSubject: Re: A tale of two 8V's   A tale of two 8V's Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:35 pm

oh yeah????
"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap" - Dolly Parton. Smile
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

A tale of two 8V's Empty
PostSubject: Re: A tale of two 8V's   A tale of two 8V's Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:39 pm

OK, point to the DungeonMaster.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

A tale of two 8V's Empty
PostSubject: Re: A tale of two 8V's   A tale of two 8V's Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:43 pm

Smile Not much to do right now except to banter about.
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

A tale of two 8V's Empty
PostSubject: Re: A tale of two 8V's   A tale of two 8V's Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Need a light? Cool
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

A tale of two 8V's Empty
PostSubject: Re: A tale of two 8V's   A tale of two 8V's Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:53 pm

DungeonMaster wrote:
oh yeah????
"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap" - Dolly Parton.  Smile

Dolly Parton.
Like that girl, no ego bitch she is...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A tale of two 8V's Empty
PostSubject: Re: A tale of two 8V's   A tale of two 8V's Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

A tale of two 8V's
Page 1 of 1