GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GrisoNoob
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoNoob

Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Empty
PostSubject: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:43 pm

Pictures will serve better here as I have no idea what I'm doing. New Here The other side is not leaking atm.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
^wondering if that bottom screw is a bit loose compared to the one above it?

I included a picture of the blow by tubes{?}
I'm thinkin the shop i took it to put too much oil in (thanks to this awesome community).
But again I know nothing and have come for aid.
If any have the heart to explain what I must do for my love, my sweet GRiSO!
Id officially owe u a beer.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 29, 2024 3:27 pm

Firstly, those two clear pipes in the last picture should be plugged. Do so immediately, it doesn’t matter what with but plug them. They are allowing dirt and grime to be drawn into your airbox which will destroy your throttlebodies.

Oil level should be no higher than half way between the ‘Add’ and ‘Full’ marks on the stick but that is unlikely to be the issue here. Have a look up in the fins and see if you can get a better idea of where the oil is actually coming from. I can’t really make out a source from your photos.

GrisoNoob likes this post

Back to top Go down
GrisoNoob
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoNoob

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 29, 2024 3:52 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Firstly, those two clear pipes in the last picture should be plugged. Do so immediately, it doesn’t matter what with but plug them. They are allowing dirt and grime to be drawn into your airbox which will destroy  your throttlebodies.

Oil level should be no higher than half way between the ‘Add’ and ‘Full’ marks on the stick but that is unlikely to be the issue here. Have a look up in the fins and see if you can get a better idea of where the oil is actually coming from. I can’t really make out a source from your photos.
Awesome & thank you!
A little unsure as to what will plug the hoses without getting pulled into them but I'm sure ill find something! as far as the leak,
I'm going to take it out for a half hour or so and see where its pooling. i checked the little screws inside the fins but they seem dry,
I think its coming from that green (head gasket)? anyways ill update asap.
whatever fix i end up needing i will record for all the newbie's benefit and will post if i don't destroy the bike!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 29, 2024 4:25 pm

It is very, very unlikely to be the head gasket.

If you take off the ‘Wing’ above the cylinder, it is only retained by three bolts, you will be able to see what is going on much more clearly. If it is coming out of the cooling tunnel above the inlet manifold it is possible it might be a plug tube o-ring, but unlikely. I’m guessing it might be a cracked breather hose from the cam cover plate on the back of the head. You’ll have a better idea once the wing is off.

Oh, and you can plug the hoses with short bolts and use a cable tie to clamp the hose around them if you can’t find small rubber ‘Mushroom’ plugs. Ex factory they are capped with mushroom plugs held in place by wire clips.

lcjohnny and GrisoNoob like this post

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 29, 2024 4:45 pm

You OWE Pete a Beer--- Refundable this weekend at the Wisconsin Guzzi Rally, YES there is still a beer wagon, Linnies Red on tap. Pete won't make it unless he flies soon. I know quite a few there. Lots of old customers. AND will be #40yrs being held. A friends bike is on the T shirts being sold 84 650TT. AND he owns a GRiSO which he rode to our rally a few years ago. That rally is a good one.

Back to top Go down
GrisoNoob
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoNoob

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:29 pm

Pete Roper wrote:

If you take off the ‘Wing’ above the cylinder, it is only retained by three bolts, you will be able to see what is going on much more clearly. If it is coming out of the cooling tunnel above the inlet manifold it is possible it might be a plug tube o-ring, but unlikely. I’m guessing it might be a cracked breather hose from the cam cover plate on the back of the head. You’ll have a better idea once the wing is off.

Oh, and you can plug the hoses with short bolts and use a cable tie to clamp the hose around them if you can’t find small rubber ‘Mushroom’ plugs. Ex factory they are capped with mushroom plugs held in place by wire clips.

Sweet! thanks again! Ill be posting pics tomorrow of what ever mess is behind the fairing after i grab some hardware for the tubes (i've got earplugs in them at the moment) they are a bit cracked at the ends so i figure ill snip a 1/4 in off and then bolt & tie them.
YOU'RE MY HERO PETE. If you find yourself in WI next weekend I'll be at the beer cart!
Back to top Go down
GrisoNoob
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoNoob

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:32 pm

GuzziSteve wrote:
You OWE Pete a Beer--- Refundable this weekend at the Wisconsin Guzzi Rally, YES there is still a beer wagon, Linnies Red on tap. Pete won't make it unless he flies soon. I know quite a few there. Lots of old customers. AND will be #40yrs being held. A friends bike is on the T shirts being sold 84 650TT. AND he owns a GRiSO which he rode to our rally a few years ago. That rally is a good one.
I'll try and take the GRiSO out there granted I'm quick enough with sorting out this leak! She's un-mapped etc but worst case id love to drive out & see what's what!
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:16 am

Rally info is on WGR website or the MGNOC site in rally calendar. There will be some GRiSO's there.
Ride Safe.
Yes, Pete & Beetle are lifesavers/bikesavers!

Back to top Go down
GrisoNoob
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoNoob

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:01 am

Pete Roper wrote:

So i think we've found it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That hose with the old-school clamp on it has oil under in what looks like a trail but its very tough to get a photo of.
On the other side of the bike that same hose has a newer clamp with a tensioning screw on, is further down on the fitting (closer to the head) & has no oil build up.
Its tough to tell whether it is just that hose or the gasket under the plate it is connected to as well but i figure start easy & find a clamp like the one on the opposite side first & find out if its just leaking there.
I took a video but the file size was too large.
Thanks again
Sorry it took me so long to wake up and smell the oil!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:42 am

Yep, your clip has moved (been moved) at least 5-6 mm AND it doesn't seem to be 'clamping' the hose enough.....mine looks like this

Back to top Go down
GrisoNoob
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoNoob

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:07 pm

paulbrice wrote:
Yep, your clip has moved (been moved) at least 5-6 mm AND it doesn't seem to be 'clamping' the hose enough.....mine looks like this

Thanks for the info, this community & everyone in it is a godsend!
I reckon ill go from moron to mechanic at this rate.

Will update once i grab a new hose clamp
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:38 pm

The original Oetiker clamps, (Like the one on the leaky side.) are actually very good and completely reusable if you have a pair of oetiker pliers. My guess is whoever has been messing with the hoses probably hasn’t.

In any normal service situation there is no need to touch the hoses or clamps so I don’t know what’s been going on there!

I strongly advise against using traditional screw type ‘Jubilee’ clamps as they will cut into the rubber and accelerate failure of the hose. You can substitute FI type hose clamps but don’t over tighten them.

lcjohnny and GrisoNoob like this post

Back to top Go down
GrisoNoob
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoNoob

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:37 am

Pete Roper wrote:
The original Oetiker clamps, (Like the one on the leaky side.) are actually very good and completely reusable if you have a pair of oetiker pliers. My guess is whoever has been messing with the hoses probably hasn’t.

In any normal service situation there is no need to touch the hoses or clamps so I don’t know what’s been going on there!

I strongly advise against using traditional screw type ‘Jubilee’ clamps as they will cut into the rubber and accelerate failure of the hose. You can substitute FI type hose clamps but don’t over tighten them.

I got too excited last night and put a screw clamp on before i checked here, however the leak seems to have stopped. As there is a screw type clamp on the right side i figure ill just have to replace the hose sooner than i would've liked.

I feel like i failed ya here Pete.
blowby is plugged and oil seems to be stopped.

I will do my best to track down this Oetiker device so i can get everything ship shape when I do!  
Oh and yes the dealer i purchased from had a couple of oopsies going ( wrong filter and oil initially)
so im anticipating a couple more gremlins and atleast one wallet puncher

Thank you for saving my time money and sanity!
praying that hose isn't unobtanium!

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:25 pm

Hoses are still available but stupidly expensive. There are substitutes.
Back to top Go down
GrisoNoob
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
GrisoNoob

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:00 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Hoses are still available but stupidly expensive. There are substitutes.

Acid Bath Already saving up for next season's prep.... I feel like I'm a thousand or two from getting everything ship shape anyways.

Guzzidiag and a laptop is next! Should be posting a lot in the coming months, I'm obsessed with this bike.

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:13 pm

Pete Roper wrote:

Maybe they were checking (adjusting?) the pin that indexes the cam to the sprocket.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:22 pm

Luckily the later engines don’t have the *extra* hole in the flinger plate that looks, (To an idiot!) like it should be installed with said hole exposing the end of the pin. I’ve replaced a couple of cylinder heads because of that sort of fuckery……
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)   Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE) Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Seems to be leaking (2016 1200SE)
Page 1 of 1