GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

CARC/trans plugs won't budge

Go down 
+2
GuzziSteve
DragonChowhound
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DragonChowhound
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
DragonChowhound

CARC/trans plugs won't budge Empty
PostSubject: CARC/trans plugs won't budge   CARC/trans plugs won't budge Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:07 pm

New owner of a 2014 GRiSO, and looking to finish up the maintenance by changing fluids on the CARC and transmission. The drain and inspection plugs on the CARC are super stubborn and won't budge. Making me a bit more nervous is the sort-of loose fit of the metric allen key and fear of stripping the head.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of a small dab of penetrating oil overnight just to see if it helps. Zero interest in an impact wrench...
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: CARC/trans plugs won't budge   CARC/trans plugs won't budge Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:25 pm

I have used valve grinding paste in sloppy allen holes with good results. The grit in it takes up the slack.
Back to top Go down
PDandy
Carlotto
Carlotto
PDandy

PostSubject: Re: CARC/trans plugs won't budge   CARC/trans plugs won't budge Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:51 pm

Are you using a suitable long hex socket rather than an Allen key? I'm most skilled enough with tools to be safe with allen keys
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: CARC/trans plugs won't budge   CARC/trans plugs won't budge Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:33 pm

I find Hex Sockets are generally more accurately sized than Allen keys.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny and PDandy like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
DragonChowhound
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
DragonChowhound

PostSubject: Re: CARC/trans plugs won't budge   CARC/trans plugs won't budge Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:36 am

Top tips here, thank you. PB Blaster got the CARC plugs unstuck. The trans fill plug is still stuck, but will patiently work it out.

Thanks again, all. This community is terrific.

Clancy likes this post

Back to top Go down
DragonChowhound
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
DragonChowhound

PostSubject: Re: CARC/trans plugs won't budge   CARC/trans plugs won't budge Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:19 pm

Refreshing my own thread -- the breather cap for the CARC is also stuck. Will try some patient PB blaster, but is it typical for this to be tough to open as well? Fluid replacement went well, and probably would have been easier with the breather open, but it filled eventually.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: CARC/trans plugs won't budge   CARC/trans plugs won't budge Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:57 pm

Leave it alone. They are prone to breaking off.

Just fill the bevel box slow...ly.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny and DragonChowhound like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
DragonChowhound
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
DragonChowhound

PostSubject: Re: CARC/trans plugs won't budge   CARC/trans plugs won't budge Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:56 am

beetle wrote:

Leave it alone. They are prone to breaking off.

Just fill the bevel box slow...ly.

Noob question but does the cap unscrew from the breather plug, or is it a fixed assembly that you unscrew in total from the bevel box?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: CARC/trans plugs won't budge   CARC/trans plugs won't budge Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:29 am

The cap pushes over the (fragile) formed breather bolt.

As Beetle said - no need to remove it

DragonChowhound likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Best bite for your buck....   CARC/trans plugs won't budge Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:51 pm

DragonChowhound wrote:
New owner of a 2014 GRiSO, and looking to finish up the maintenance by changing fluids on the CARC and transmission.  The drain and inspection plugs on the CARC are super stubborn and won't budge.  Making me a bit more nervous is the sort-of loose fit of the metric allen key and fear of stripping the head.

Any suggestions?  I was thinking of a small dab of penetrating oil overnight just to see if it helps.  Zero interest in an impact wrench...

I have been using these and now swear by them. How they work on softened stripped Allen bolts has been a gamechanger for me. A bit pricy but what quality tool isn't?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CARC/trans plugs won't budge   CARC/trans plugs won't budge Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

CARC/trans plugs won't budge
Page 1 of 1