GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

8V Whackamole

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

8V Whackamole  Empty
PostSubject: 8V Whackamole    8V Whackamole  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:51 am

As usual with my example of the 8V, it's always something.

But this time it's really just a bunch of small crap. Discretionary even. For a change. Jinx.:

I've shed some grease around the middle. The bike's suspension has always been a bit hard, even harsh, but now if you hit just a small pothole you get a bit of a hop from the rear. This at modest speeds and lean angles.

Time to tackle suspension settings. There's a guy named Moss on YouTube: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Anyone know if his settings are worth duplicating? They seem suitable for a 230lb guy with no sporting pretensions? If you don't like his setup, how do I spitball better settings to play with? I don't have the shock tool but I can always pop down to the local speed shop and have them crank on the Sachs. Is he 100% right about what screw or nut does what?

Any reason not to grind down the x-cross-section flanges on the dipstick? Damn thing has swelled (swollen?) and is a pisser getting out, and back, and probably dropping plastic shavings into the oil when you do. Is there a Ghetto-approved aftermarket stick?

Any reason not to use a non-permanent loctite on the stock mirror adjustment nuts? It's been hard keeping them steady. Must be a harmonic.

Airbox drain hoses completely disintegrated, fixed. Front turn signals floppy. "Fixed" with popsicle sticks and tape. Anyone put into effect the alternative manufacturer's rubber? Observations or recommendations?

Ok so some hoses have gone to shit, turn signal whatchacallems ditto. Dipstick. All of these are age-related materials problems.

Probably my most important question here today.: What's next? What is (are?) the next predictable age-related materials failures coming up?

What should I be looking at and maybe attacking preventively?

Cheers!

Back to top Go down
kindoy2
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kindoy2

8V Whackamole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8V Whackamole    8V Whackamole  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:22 pm

IMO Dave Moss is one of the best..Very well known and experienced for years.
I have had him personally set up some of my bikes and they were spot on imo...my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

8V Whackamole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8V Whackamole    8V Whackamole  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:14 pm

Best option for the dipstick IMHO is to just buy a Stelvio stick and the nut it goes through. It’s steel and simply pulls out to check level.

On my Red Bike I *Fixed* the indicators by swapping to 1200 Sport ones which are rigid mount rather than plastic and to my eye look better too. Only issue I’ve had is due to my Mistral Hi Pipe which on Red Bike, which uses the factory mudguard and indicator mount points, sits with its exit just behind the left one and it’s melted it! Laughing I only noticed the other day!

kindoy2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

8V Whackamole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8V Whackamole    8V Whackamole  Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:22 am

The other option is to keep the plastic dipstick but when you insert it, it just needs to be a teensy weensy bit 'tightened', really more just in contact with the metal surface it screws into - use no real force whatsoever. It will expand when heated but soon cools enough for removal by unassisted fingers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

8V Whackamole  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8V Whackamole    8V Whackamole  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

8V Whackamole
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: