GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

LOWERING MY GRiSO!

Go down 
+6
beetle
Grisonut
Steak
DungeonMaster
mark111
Canyon Carver
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:55 am

OK, I now most of you wouldn't consider lowering you bike, but even with my seat cut down an inch, I'd still like to get an inch lower.
The frame is fairly wide at the seat's front that is the problem.
I know I can slide the forks up in the t-clamps, but the stock shock will need to be relaced with a shorter model.
I wouldn't want the ride to become any more stiff than it is, so what shock is the candidate for this.
Hopefully handling will not be effected negatively since it is a long wheelbase bike.
Any thoughts on this?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:28 am

Actually, you may handle better in hi-heels.
Not that I would know.  silent 

1. Lowering the front by bringing the forks up through the triple clamps.
2. Can the plastic seat base be reshaped for a narrower snout, and upholstered accordingly. I'm Grisoless so just asking.
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:16 am

Canyon,
Ghezz's suggestion about higher heels should be considered as a possible solution.
I am vertically challenged but I would rather tipeytoe than lower my GRiSO.
Getting a suitable rear shock or linkage is likely to be costly and the thought of losing an inch of ground clearance really isn't very appealing unless you plan to ride it like a Harley.
There are boots out there (I think the brand is Daytona) that are built with a thicker sole and heel section which may solve your problem, if you are just looking for a more secure footing when stopped.
I just usually slide my arse of the seat a bit when I come to stop and this works well enough in 99% of situations.
Might be worth investigating before spending money on the bike mods as I can't see a great outcome from reducing the suspension travel.
You may have to ignore the occasional short joke from some of your less intelligent mates but who gives a shit what they have to say.
Let's face it you have probably heard them all before 100 times anyway and if they come up with a new one enjoy it.

Mark
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:35 am

Points taken, but shock question not answered guys. I have a second seat and may alter the snout a bit more, but the GRiSO's frame is wide right there.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:41 am

Race Tech is in Riverside and Lindemann Eng is in Mentone (Redlands)
Not your next door neighbors but still within arms reach.
I don't know if Todd at GuzziTech does much suspension modification.

DM
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:46 am

DungeonMaster wrote:
Race Tech is in Riverside and Lindemann Eng is in Mentone (Redlands)
Not your next door neighbors but still within arms reach.
I don't know if Todd at GuzziTech does much suspension modification.

DM

Thanks for this info!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:04 pm

You can always sleep with a basketball between your thighs and tape your ankles together for a month or two...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Standard Bellagio shock and GRiSO are same length, had both of them in my Bella.
Bellagio has a lowered model and I believe it may be a shorter shock.
If not it would be a different linkage set up, which would still be compatible with the GRiSO swingarm/frame.

However, I would counsel you not to modify standard shocks for better compliance/handling.
In my opinion your money is better spent on better quality equipment.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Canyon Carver wrote:
Points taken, but shock question not answered guys. I have a second seat and may alter the snout a bit more, but the GRiSO's frame is wide right there.

Don't bother...
Sit on the bike without the seat on, you'll get no better reach so altering the seat is a moot point really.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Must be this tall to ride ---->

---->

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:10 pm

You guys are probably right on all points. I can ride it and touch feet down ok. Fuck it!
Back to top Go down
cytocycle
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
cytocycle

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:43 am

seriously drop the front end and your GRiSO will handle quicker but don't drop the ass end it doesn't have much travel to begin with.
Back to top Go down

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:52 am

Also research tyre profiles and actual measured rolling diameters, not the numbers on the side of the tyre. There can be quite a difference between brands/models.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:10 am

I have my GRiSO down to the 5th line of the forks. I have seen another GRiSO rider with his forks down to the 6th.
Not out of need to reach the ground - out of want to set up the steering.
It will make ground reach easier.

DM
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:56 pm

DungeonMaster wrote:
I have my GRiSO down to the 5th line of the forks. I have seen another GRiSO rider with his forks down to the 6th.
Not out of need to reach the ground - out of want to set up the steering.
It will make ground reach easier.

DM
Interesting. I like how stable my bike is at high speed, though I haven't cracked 100mph yet. Dropping it an inch wont hurt?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:31 pm

I have 6 rings showing on mine. I have gone very bloody fast and it's like it's on rails. That speed you haven't cracked yet? Change the zero's to threes.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:06 am

The GRiSO has a wheelbase a mile long and lots of rake and trail. Stability isn't an issue! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:11 am

Re: dropping an inch

That's a pretty radical one step adjustment. I would say do one line at a time and see how you like it.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:35 am

another critical issue with me getting my steering feel good was settling on a happy tire pressure.
I usually do 33 lbs psi. 33 or 34.
and then the rear 3 lbs more.
I DEFINITELY do not like less than the 33 lbs front.

DM
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:42 am

I have three rings showing (factory setting I think). I'd love a faster turn in for sure.

All I have is a front wheel chalk for my bike. I'm going to need some kind of support hoist to do this right, correct?
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:16 am

NO! You can do it on the side stand.
If you loosen the triple clamp bolts for just one fork at a time, you can wiggle the fork leg up a line or two. THEN TIGHTEN THE BOLTS BEFORE YOU DO THE OTHER FORK.

Caution! Don't loosen all the bolts right off, back one out till loose then nip it up a tad - then the next.
With a little bit of friction it prevents the fork from moving too far, too quick.
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:33 am

Well that was easy! Thanks for the advise!
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:56 am

To be honest, the top triple bolts, and top two of the lower triple bolts may have been at 5-7 n-m. That seemed awfully low.

What are the torque specs?
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:41 am

Birch wrote:
To be honest, the top triple bolts, and top two of the lower triple bolts may have been at 5-7 n-m.  That seemed awfully low.

What are the torque specs?

The GRiSO Torque Specs are listed in the Pegged topic at the top of this forum.

(Moved this topic to GRiSOlogy which is better suited.)

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:48 am

Thanks, Steak.

I need to read with pictures cause in not sure of the names they are using with the corresponding parts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LOWERING MY GRiSO! Empty
PostSubject: Re: LOWERING MY GRiSO!   LOWERING MY GRiSO! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

LOWERING MY GRiSO!
Page 1 of 1