GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Headlight circuit

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lemppari
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Lemppari

Headlight circuit Empty
PostSubject: Headlight circuit   Headlight circuit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:07 am

As I can't afford the J.W. Speaker Adaptive Headlight & GRiSO Adapter (euro 859,- & 169,-), I probably have to resort to some other i.e. cheaper way to get a better illumination. And I do like the looks of the OEM headlight anyway.

Do Grisos circulate their headlight current through the light switch in the same way Guzzi done it with the V11? And could one then draw new wiring directly fromm the battery to relays inside the headlight shell and use the switch circuit to control the relay. That made a big difference in light intensity on the V11.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Headlight circuit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight circuit   Headlight circuit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:48 am

Yes. Same wiring.

You could always go for a Jeep headlight. Works for me!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

Headlight circuit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight circuit   Headlight circuit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 am

Just did the same thing for my V7. Used the high-beam circuit to run a relay and powered the high beam plus driving lights. Left the low beam alone. Made all the connections inside the headlight shell.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

Headlight circuit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight circuit   Headlight circuit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:03 am

EricS wrote:
Just did the same thing for my V7. Used the high-beam circuit to run a relay and powered the high beam plus driving lights. Left the low beam alone. Made all the connections inside the headlight shell.

And the result? Please report in when able. Interested.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

Headlight circuit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight circuit   Headlight circuit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:17 pm

MalG wrote:
And the result? Please report in when able. Interested.

The result is that I can leave my super-noticeable H4 halogen bulb in AND run my 20w LED spots at the same time by simply clicking on the high-beams. Before the hook-up lighting at night was barely adequate because in typical Guzzi fashion, the high beam is too high when the low is set correctly. Not as bad as the GRiSO but still less than optimal. Adding the LED spots to my cylinder guards fills in the dark spot between the low and high as well as lighting up the sides of the road better. Will try taking a picture tonight so show you.

I put the waterproof relay next to the battery and ran the 4 wires under the tank and into a small hole I drilled into the back of the housing. I did use the stock ground for the high beam for fear of confusing the computer but may try using the 'heavy' ground I installed. If I don't get any bulb-out warning then I would prefer it to the skinny 18ga OEM stuff.

Here's what the driving spots look like:

Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

Headlight circuit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight circuit   Headlight circuit Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:44 am

Thanks Eric. I've LED driving lights connected to high beam. I don't think I'd be comfortably riding at night without them anymore. Just wondering if relays on the H4 would one make a difference.

Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

Headlight circuit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight circuit   Headlight circuit Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:35 pm

H4 high beam being brighter with the relay is a little subjective but I would say it seems 10-15% better. More importantly I'm now drawing power directly from the battery on a thicker wire so I feel safer that the switch won't get smoked by the extra draw of the driving lights.

I considered skipping the relay and going with a good quality H4 LED bulb but with the heat sync, they don't fit in the shallow OEM bucket. I may go with a full LED headlight replacement one day but think the looks of the them don't fit with the V7 style/character. Besides, night riding is something I try to avoid anyway so it's not worth the investment - yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Headlight circuit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight circuit   Headlight circuit Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Headlight circuit
Page 1 of 1