GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Emergency rear wheel jack

Go down 
+10
Oz1200Guzzi
jeremyb
beetle
paulbrice
Conor W
sidrat
GuzziSteve
Papa Lazarou
EricS
Omnis
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Omnis
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Omnis

Emergency rear wheel jack Empty
PostSubject: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:46 am

I’ve been looking for a rear wheel jack that I can carry on my long trips in remote parts for eventual emergency tire repairs etc. I’ve seen one for chain driven bikes I think called Snapjack that hooks on the rear arm and leverage the bike up using the centre stand and front wheel (suitably blocked or brakes on).
Any suggestions that may work on the GRiSO?
Many thanx
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:41 am

Being tubeless tires I carry a plug kit and mini compressor on longer rides. Not sure how you would deal with a major tire issue in the boonies though. Maybe a heat resistant blanket and just lay it on it's side in the grass like the GS folks do...
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:34 am

The Snapjack might not take the weight but seems to be the only small jack you take-a scissor jack wouldn't be stable and a trolley jack could be too heavy to carry around.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 am

That SnapJack thing should work if you made a plate to fit on CARC bolts or off of a guard.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:29 am

SnapJack are also making a Single Sided Swingarm version too
Back to top Go down
Conor W
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Conor W

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:17 am

A few years back I visited the the shop of (custommotorcyclerestorations.com.au) in Newcastle NSW. Nice bikes. They sold the IB mini jack. Bought one (cos it was there..) and while I haven’t used in anger ( or non anger for that matter ) on the GRiSO yet it might suit your need. I’ll dig mine out and see how if I can get it working well enough on the GRiSO. The original sidestand as you know is not a wondrous thing on anything more nose down than dead level so I suspect it might be a delicate balancing act. I won’t be lingering under left hand side...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:36 am

Hmmmm ....removing 110 nm rear wheel nuts with a massive socket on 250kg bike balanced on a wobbly stand and dodgey surface in the back of nowhere.....Does it come with a panic button when the inevitable happens ?
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:18 am

How heavy / bulky is the factory service or Becker service stand? As others have said, I'd be concerned with the snap-jack holding a GRiSO, especially with it's side stand location and non-locking nature.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:54 am

I think breakdown service contract & a mobile phone are easier to carry Wink .....by the time you add up a full blown stand, torque wrench, sockets, tyre levers, patches, compressor, incidental bits & bobs then it becomes a 2 wheel caravan that really needs 2 extra wheels......but it's personal thing & in UK we are a crowded island with limited 'boonies' & breakdown support 20 mins away at any point so no need to jack-off yourself.......
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 pm

I carry a wee compressor and patch kit if I'm going longtime. On this very big, mostly empty island, if it requires having to remove your rear wheel, then I'd hope someone would come along before I had to drink my own urine. I only have to travel a 1/2 hour from home and have zero phone signal.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Where's that photo of the 'Bush Engineering' that I think Pete posted once??

A GRiSO balanced on a plank set between boulders.
(and, probably, some guy cursing, smoking a fag and drinking a beer).
Back to top Go down
Omnis
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Omnis

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for the comments, I may need to revise my thinking. I agree that the snap jack is not really the answer for the GRiSO. Yes I do have a yearly contract with the CAA (Canadian Automobile Association.) that offers a 300kms rescue price escalates dramatically from there. I know I had a blowout with rear tire shredded 450kms from home and that was in the same province. This summer I plan a 9000kms round trip to the pacific coast up to Prince Rupert. I usually carry compressor tools etc in two Tooltubes. Will continue the search and report back if of interest.
Back to top Go down
Omnis
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Omnis

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:13 am

Conor W wrote:
A few years back I visited the the shop of (custommotorcyclerestorations.com.au) in Newcastle NSW. Nice bikes. They sold the IB mini jack. Bought one (cos it was there..) and while I haven’t used in anger ( or non anger for that matter ) on the GRiSO yet it might suit your need. I’ll dig mine out and see how if I can get it working well enough on the GRiSO. The original sidestand as you know is not a wondrous thing on anything more nose down than dead level so I suspect it might be a delicate balancing act.   I won’t be lingering under left hand side...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I’d be interested to hear your comments on how the IB works on the GRiSO.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:51 am

I am in the "paid for" breakdown group. I know sometimes they take a while to turn up, but i live in England so am unlikely to be "drinking my urine" if i break down. I also just hate to carry all the shit i might need in an emergency.

I have ridden from England to New Zealand with some sea and air transport!, and if i had to do something like that again a bike without a mainstand and with a single sided swingarm would be off the list
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:14 pm

I also carry a compressor and repair kit - always. Logic being if you have it, you won't need it. Note to self - Must see if the compressor works still...
Back to top Go down
Conor W
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Conor W

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:32 am

Tried the lift. Well didn’t really get far - short story is that the predictions of the wise ones were correct - its a nice little piece of kit and it might suit certain bikes but certainly not the GRiSO. Can’t access a decent / safe enough lift point for a start. Would also think that - if the bike starts level - anything like it that attempts to jack the carc will really risk lifting bike in exactly the wrong direction to how the side stand wants to be loaded. And over she’ll go. Even if you did get it up nicely a swing on those wheel studs - if you were willing to get in on that side of the bike - would finish if off.

On completely unrelated issue I have 220k on the clock snd no fuel light on yet. Nice. Or broken light...
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:49 am

Conor i have seen 232km on a cruise in summer with Beetles latest map :-)

Normal use just over 200km
Back to top Go down
Conor W
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Conor W

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:06 am

Sid - I’ve got a self-modified beetle map for my 3000rpm weirdness but the 4000rpm area where I spent much of last long ride ( double demerits weekend restrains the wrist somewhat) is unadulterated beetle and its proven very efficient. Funnily enough I just took off the dart screen before the ride - thought it would knock economy around but not so much - not so sure if I would have got better or worse with it. Looks good without so its staying off.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:13 am

Conor W wrote:
Tried the lift. Well didn’t really get far - short story is that the predictions of the wise ones were correct - its a nice little piece of kit and it might suit certain bikes but certainly not the GRiSO. Can’t access a decent / safe enough lift point for a start.  Would also think that - if the bike starts level - anything like it that attempts to jack the carc will really risk lifting bike in exactly the wrong direction to how the side stand wants to be loaded. And over she’ll go. Even if you did get it up nicely a swing on those wheel studs - if you were willing to get in on that side of the bike - would finish if off.

On completely unrelated issue I have 220k on the clock snd no fuel light on yet. Nice. Or broken light...

Figured that might be the case after looking at website and other replies.  Had I tested it, I might not have stopped short of the disaster that merely loomed for you. affraid

All of that said, I do like the looks of that little gizmo, and, as I am always a sucker for another gadget, might get one.

It might be perfect for the Stornello, and I could carry it in that great idea of a tube [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

I have not gotten around to fabricating that yet, and the little Stornello might get its before the GRiSO.  Kathi is out of town the first two weeks in February, and I have high hopes of getting some moto-tasks done then.  

Yes, I know that I'll probably just be a slob in the house and drink beer in the Moto Grappa, but a guy can dream.  Wink

Bill
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:20 am

Conor W wrote:
Sid - I’ve got a self-modified beetle map for my 3000rpm weirdness but the 4000rpm area where I spent much of last long ride ( double demerits weekend restrains the wrist somewhat) is unadulterated beetle and its proven very efficient. Funnily enough I just took off the dart screen before the ride - thought it would knock economy around but not so much  - not so sure if I would have got better or worse with it. Looks good without so its staying off.

Oh i am so tempted to take the screen off, but i know i could not live with the 90mph buffetting my slowing aging body would receive!
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 pm

I took my Dart screen off and gave it to Clancy and put an Emgo Venom on mine. I prefer the look of the Venom and it gives more protection at speed than the Dart.
Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Wyno did you do any cutting on your screen? I haven't fitted mine as yet as I'm still waiting for new drugs to fix my arthritis. Are you going to paint it the same color as you bike?
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:21 pm

I got Peter Stevens to put it on and they actually did it right. There was no cutting needed and I've still got it as it came, Black. It matches the frame. I was thinking of adding 2 fairly thin horizontal red and white stripes on each side, but then I said nah, couldn't be stuffed, and left like it is.
Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Any chance you can flick me a close up pic of the attachment at some time. No Hurry. Cheers
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 pm

I will as soon as the battery on my camera recharges. You know how hard it is to find the right charger when you need it, don't you. Took me 15 minutes of scrounging around in all sorts of places but I found it. Won't be too long.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emergency rear wheel jack   Emergency rear wheel jack Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Emergency rear wheel jack
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next