GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Squish Band and Head Gaskets

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Empty
PostSubject: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Looking to avoid house chores, I hid in the shed and whipped the left head off the trackie. Made some spacers from small box tubing and tightened the barrel back down. measuring the piston height to top of the barrel at TDC , I have .016" Thumbs Up
Q: am I correct in assuming I can use the thinnest head gasket, .65mm or .0256" . (.016" + .025" = 041" squish )
It came from the factory with the thickest ones fitted .0413". Suspect
I used the same thickness ones at the rollerization to keep things simple , but the difference here is nearly .016".
                                                                      Every little bit helps, Right ? Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:33 pm

Try it. There will be a bit of crank whip but you'll soon find out if it's too small as the sump will fill up with bits of big end shell! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:43 pm

Laughing Razz There's A screen in there to collect those bits cheers
Back to top Go down
nev
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
nev

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:26 pm

Waterbottle can you just explain why you are doing this ?

and Pete , by flex do you mean "bend"

nev
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:00 pm

Nev, Why have a thicker head gasket than necessary. I used the chart in the front of the workshop manual to calculate the required thickness. It's within the tolerances allowed so shouldn't hurt anything and may release some more of the Shetland Unicorns from the stable Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:37 pm

nev wrote:
Waterbottle can you just explain why you are doing this ?

and Pete , by  flex do you mean "bend"

nev

Yup, cranks bend. not by a lot but they bend. If you screw up the clearances the top of the piston deck will contact the head at high RPM. when this happens its rarely enough to destroy the piston, (Although it can collapse the top ring land so the ring is seized and can't do its job.) but it biffs the rod through the oil wedge on the big end journal and the bearings break up!

Pete
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:40 am

Set within the factory specs, we should be good to go though , Yes ?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:07 am

Yup!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:19 am

I'm asking no more of the beastie than the factory allows. But if we could find some better bearings and a bit more oil pressure ........
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:50 pm

Red Line is set in the factory to be more than adequate, for safety/longevity reasons. The question beckons as to what you could really take it up to, especially for suck a purpose - track work. When are you going to start racing it Ron?
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:00 pm

Just track days Tony, I'm not really that good Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:11 pm

none of us are Ron! It's just what our ego tells us...
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:29 pm

I have moved up from the really slow group to the slow group There are some kamikaze's in this mob Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:14 pm

Keep tellin ya Ron, sell the beast and buy an RVF400.
Sure I got blown away down the straights, but it was more fun to just ride around the outside of 'em in the corners. Ya canna do thart on a Gootsi!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Squish Band and Head Gaskets    Squish Band and Head Gaskets  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Squish Band and Head Gaskets
Page 1 of 1