GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Turn Signal help

Go down 
+4
beetle
Papa Lazarou
Pete Roper
nwreed
8 posters
AuthorMessage
nwreed
Carlotto
Carlotto
nwreed

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:55 am

Hey all,

So I finally got clearance from the arm surgeon to start riding again (yay), so I decided to swap the bars on my GRiSO out, and I appear to have fixed it until it broke (boo). The swap seemed to go smoothly enough and I didn't have to unplug anything and even got heated grips installed. Now everything works fine except the right front turn signal. Left turn signal works, except it's pulsing very quickly, and the right rear turn signal works, but nothing from the front right. I swapped bulbs with the same result so it's not that. And the dash is displaying a very helpful symbol telling me that the right turn signal isn't working. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Caleb

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Most likely one of two things. Either the connectors of the non functioning indicators to the loom have been separated or simply moved enough to break the circuit or the wires to the bulb holder in the indicator itself have pulled off.

Getting to the rear connectors is a bit of a pain as they are right up in the arse end of the tail section, front ones are much easier but you'll probably have to pop the tank off.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:17 pm

Check the bulb first.
Back to top Go down
nwreed
Carlotto
Carlotto
nwreed

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Papa - I swapped the bulb first thing to check with the same result (that's about the only mechanical skill in my skillset =)

Pete - Thanks for the advice. I'll tear into it some more this weekend and see if I can trace the wires from the front right to see if they got pulled somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:13 pm

There has be a lack of current to one side.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:30 pm

IIRC the front signal connectors are up inside the instrument housing. You have to pull the dash off. Most annoying.

Suspect

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:33 pm

I thought they were behind the steering head but I haven't had to mess with indicators for ages so I can't remember! Razz

Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:09 pm

On most bikes the turn signals work off each other on one side. I would expect one to be flashing faster than the other only to be connected to the same side-ie, if the front left hand bulb is flashing too fast, then the rear left hand bulb isn't working.

Mebbe MG is different but I doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:40 pm

While the system still works that way the indicators on our bikes are controlled by the dashboard and there is logic in there that causes the rapid flashing if an indicator not working. In this situation it is almost certainly a loose or disconnected connector if the globe isn't shot, (You have stuck a mm across it? The filament can look fine and it can still be OC.)

Pete
Back to top Go down
nwreed
Carlotto
Carlotto
nwreed

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks so much for all the help guys! I found the issue late last night after much swearing.

While I was tracing the wire back from the turn signal stalk up to the dash, I noticed a pretty tight kink in the rubber sheath directly behind the headlight and when I peeled the sheath back once of the two wires was crimped nearly through. Put a quick butt connector on there to test and it worked. Going to solder and heat shrink it this weekend.

I really appreciate everyone's help. You really are the most helpful forum I've ever found.

Caleb
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:30 pm

Nice work there Caleb!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:54 pm

I've got a similar problem now. Last week my dash displayed a 'LEFT ARROW, X thru bulb' warning.The warning only lasts a few seconds. All of my bulbs are working fine and flash at the normal rate. They are obviously not an open circuit. I removed and cleaned the left side bulbs and sockets (the left rear socket was a little dirty) and everything worked great for two hundred miles. Half way through today's 90 mile ride the same warning reappeared six times. The warning only stays on for about 5 seconds. There aren't any stored faults in the dashboard or ECU diagnostics. I just realized the alarm never appeared while actually using the turn signals. hhmmm
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:33 pm

If it reoccurs, you might want to check the wiring inside the taillight housing (pop the seat and it's all tucked in under there). All my blinker warnings have been caused by the birds nest of wires back there.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:45 pm

Thanks beetle,

I remembered I had recently stowed my Dynaplug air compressor in that small space (removed the airbox snorkel) and it's reassuring to have the tire repair on the bike full time. The turn signal alarm started occurring several weeks after I stowed the kit. I just removed the repair kit and rummaged around back there assaulting the connectors and the alarm did not come on. (A little disappointing but good to know the connections are solid) I'm thinking it might be a frayed wire like nwreed had or a lousy connection under the dash housing. I'm not looking forward to exploring those areas but looking at the parts manual to see how the dash comes apart. I have been unable to make this fault appear. It does it on its' own. Oddly, I don't mind the bulb warning as much as I despise the red triangle warning.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:49 pm

Bad, not a broken connector is what causes this. Hunt down all connectors, as Mark says, disconnect and reconnect them, one by one, until you find the problem child. I had similar and it was the connector on the back of the dash, where one of the wires was not fully inserted in the plug/socket on the back of the dash. PITA to find and fix.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:53 pm

Ha Thanks for the encouragement! We are expecting rain soon so I've got an indoor project now.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:17 pm

Accessing the wiring and connectors inside the dash housing will challenge your sanity. I've done it once, and hope to never go there again...

Mad

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Oh Please I can't take any more encouragement! I can't wait to dig in to it. lol affraid
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:24 pm

I've been there around 10 times - no wonder my head's screwed. Easy to pull apart, hard to put back together again - hasten slowly, taking note of how it all fits together - take shots with your phone/camera for reference.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:10 am

Ok, so despite all the horror stories, I was able to dismantle my instrument pod without too much fuss.
(It's similar to my day job.)
Unfortunately, all of my connectors seemed well connected. I checked both front turn signal cables for broken/intermittent wires. They were fine. I separated all of the connectors while I was there and sprayed all the pins and sockets with contact cleaner (Deoxit). Reconnected and reassembled everything and to my amazement everything works as intended. I don't know if I solved my occasional turn lamp warning but I now know how to get into the pod area. Did some bug splatter removal too. cheers
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:25 am

Each lamp has it's own wire all the way from the dash, pins 22,23,32,33
It will show an error if the lamp is not connected even if not being used, I assume it's passing a small current through the lamp and alarms if this current is missing or the pin Voltage is high.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks Kiwi_Roy, I noticed on the schematic the wires leading back to the ECU (or maybe inside of it) and thought the problem might be there. I'm not quite ready to pull the tank just yet looking for this occasional issue. My next stop will be the rear connectors again. I'll pull them apart and clean and go from there. Went for a bumpy 40 mile ride last night and no faults. Time will tell but intermittent electrical problems are the worst.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:38 am

I don't think the direction indicators go to the ECU did you mean the Dash?
Inputs 2 & 12
Outputs 22,23, 32 & 33
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:21 am

Thank you! You are correct. I misread the schematic. All those wires connect to the dash not the ECU.

Now I know how to access those connectors if the fault returns.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Turn Signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal help   Turn Signal help Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Turn Signal help
Page 1 of 1