GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Sunday too far away!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

Sunday too far away! Empty
PostSubject: Sunday too far away!   Sunday too far away! Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:09 pm

Well after some ordinary weather the last couple of times I have had a day off, today loomed overcast but dry (ish). I got up, donned the riding gear and warmed the GRiSO up before setting off on a glorious Sunday ride, my first real ride after getting the bike last month. I was finally getting away from traffic and the city.

I cruised out of Sydney town making my way through early morning Sunday traffic and out on to the open road to the North of town. A short stint on a 6 lane motorway before peeling off onto a magnificent bit of road that attracts a large amount of bikes, mainly pocket rockets with the pilots trying their best to contribute to Mr Plods  pig revenue raising. I would have normally chased any number of them on my old red rockets scaring myself a number of times before stopping at the local cafe to tell tall stories and gaze upon the vast variety of two wheeled mounts that congregate in the car park.

But something was different today,  Shocked I was reveling on the bike, the engine spinning between 4-6,500 rpm (occasionally higher  Twisted Evil ) me in a relaxed frame of mind leaning into corners rather than trying to late brake and blast out. I was back on one of my old bevels, slow in fast out (of course this thing wont stop by the side of the road like the bevels but hey some of that character you don't mind missing out on). I can't describe how I felt but I can say that the only muscles that were sore after the ride were in my cheeks from smiling so much, shit I had fun. I was there on hot tarmac, with warm tires, rolling on the throttle with a smooth action, the bike responding with a glorious growl as the rear tire grabbed the road and propelled me forward. The bike is turbine like when treated with a controlled hand, the over steering from being unused to the wide bars after a long diet of clipons was a distant memory. I think I might be getting this bike, don't get me wrong it is obvious that the GRiSO can pick up her heals and go, but boy I am really enjoying the torque from that magnificent lump of an engine.

Well I forgot to stop at the cafe, I kept riding to the roads end then found another road and then another. I was out, in the sunshine and all was good. The fuel light came on somewhere out in the boonies near the Hunter valley which did make me think about where the closest fuel was (did not want to push her again) about 20 kms later I found some and all was good again. I finally stopped on a back road I had never visited before, in a town I have no idea what it was called. I drank a cold amber liquid and all was good with the world.

This bike is just bloody brilliant for Australian back roads! I relented and finally headed back South and back to the big smoke, the GRiSO settled back into the docile state that urban streets and heavy traffic dictate without complaint, but like a race horse she demands open spaces you just have to get to know her secrets which she does not reveal on congested streets  Wink

Well I am back home now but have a major issue, next Sunday is just too friggen far away! Sad
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sunday too far away!   Sunday too far away! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:40 am

Weren't you having some sort of problem? Has that been sorted out? Was it the plug leads?

Pete
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: Sunday too far away!   Sunday too far away! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:48 am

Hi Pete,

Well lets see, I pulled the leads and plugs to check them, then I cleaned and replaced them started the motor in the dark and looked for the spark to short to the head. The engine ran perfectly and I cold see no spark.

Then I took them to the local MG shop and he was not interested in looking at bike as it was working fine so I thought I'll ride it see if it behaves and if not bring it to you. The bugger has not missed a beat since then. I did note that when I pulled the leads they appeared to have some moisture on one of them, I thought perhaps it may have caused a short but it does not explain why it was working fine and then it didn't (I had not wet the bike in the mean time).

I still want to come down to meet you and to see about the maps as I am running the bike without the db killer and she pops a little and could be a little better of idle. I have also found a couple of drops of liquid, not sure what (not fuel) on the right side of the engine case around the starter I think.

I have cleaned it a couple of time and have noted it once or twice, nothing major just be nice to know what it is and where it is from.

So in answer to your question yes I had some dramas and now they are gone so hears hoping that it don't come back. I'll give you a call and see what we can arrange, it is about 4 hours to you and then same back so I need to plan an overnight stay, I trust Bungendoore is like the little town I was in today and sells some of that refreshing Amber liquid and has beds to rent?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Sunday too far away!   Sunday too far away! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:58 am

I'd advise, for the moment, taking the dBK out. With it in the map that bike currently has in will be too rich by quite a way. Probably not enough to be damaging but it will be a long way from ideal.

I'm currently thinking of coming down to Sydney tomorrow night as Jude has a shindig in Brighton LeSands. She reckons she'll be busy working most of the evening so generally I wouldn't bother but if you reckon you could make it there it would give me an incentive and I could bring my laptop down and Reflash your bike with the hi-pipe/dBk map which is undoubtably the FIG's finest work.

Let me know.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: Sunday too far away!   Sunday too far away! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:08 am

Hi Pete,

David told me that he thought it was mapped for the killer in but was not sure. I am running it with it out at the moment (just love the sound).

So no sweat about tomorrow, i want to come down and get you to have a look at the bike in any case so no need to go out of your way mate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday too far away!   Sunday too far away! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:05 am

Dear Mr Duc,
Starter is on the left last time I looked. I take it the water spots you found were on the right side and I must ask, if this is the same side that the spark plug lead/cap had moisture attached.
If so, I can offer you this possible explanation.

Most modern motorcycles with a single central spark plug in a 4 valve combustion chamber, have a long spark plug tube. If water gets down around the plug, the fire generally goes out. To alleviate this possibility, even though your bike has a tight fitting rubber seal at the top, there will be a small drain hole in the cylinder head, exiting between the fins directly to the side for a Guzzi (forward for transverse engines).

Here in Australia we have little mud wasps that look for such holes in which to build their nests. Seen it many times, SV650's in wet weather will drop onto 1 cylinder.
CLEAN YA CAKE HOLE!
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: Sunday too far away!   Sunday too far away! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:37 pm

Cheers ghezzi I had read about the drain holes earlier when researching best way to remove HT leads.

I don't think it is water, at first I thought it might be brake fluid from rear brake resovouir but looking at it I reckon it is oil based.
I'll have a close look tonight when I get the chance
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: Sunday too far away!   Sunday too far away! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:09 am

Update had a look at the cylinder to try determine the cause of the oily fluid on the right side of the engine / gear box. I put a strong light on the cylinder and noted that the fins around the area of the drain had a slight oily residue on them, nothing that wiped of but just enough to note that something was on there.

I then remembered that when I took my HT lead off trying to find the cause of the misfire I noted that the right side lead had an oily film on it. I am now beginning to suspect an oil leak around the area of the plug (right side). I think it might be the o rings on the plug tube that I have just read about, it is very minor but hey there you go.

I wounder if the oil had built up near the plug and was responsible for causing the short to the head? If it is the o rings that would explain the recent miss fire and the fact it is now fine after a good clean.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunday too far away!   Sunday too far away! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Sunday too far away!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSO Experience-
Jump to: