GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Engine Braking

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Speedy23
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Speedy23

Engine Braking Empty
PostSubject: Engine Braking   Engine Braking Icon_minitime1Tue May 30, 2023 12:59 am

Well took the plunge and bought a V100S.

Unfortunately, it is one of the bikes with a duff gearbox (long story, but the box has a neutral finder. When you select N from 1 at a standstill the bike goes into a "neutral" but the gear position indicator continues to show 1.

Obviously if you stop the engine, when you restart you have to either pull the clutch in or try and find N before the engine will start. Just after 1st service, the bike (eventually) goes into a N on start-up but then if you just press the starter, the display sometimes toggles between N and 1 and the bike doesn't start.

Dealer says it is a known problem due either to "excess loctite" applied during assembly, or something out of tolerance in the selector mechanism.

I'm tending toward the latter, as very occasionally the bike will select N properly, and it feels different (Oo-er Matron!) when it goes in.

Anyway, bike is back to dealer (in UK) today for exploratory surgery. I will let you know what transpires.)

End of digression - what I really wanted to say is that the engine braking on this bike is derisory - the first few times I changed down, I thought the clutch had packed in!

What I would like to know is whether or or not the engine braking can be increased via a remap, and as this forum is home to the experts, where better to ask?

It sounds logical to me, after all the bike knows whether it is under load or on a trailing throttle, so I guess that metering the fuel appropriately when on a trailing throttle would be able to change this aspect of the engine's performance.

But what do I know? Am I right or wrong?

Anyway, thanks for reading this missive.

Cheers

S23
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

Engine Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Braking   Engine Braking Icon_minitime1Tue May 30, 2023 2:56 am

Maybe they equipped it with a slipper clutch
Back to top Go down
Speedy23
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Speedy23

Engine Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Braking   Engine Braking Icon_minitime1Tue May 30, 2023 3:43 am

Engine Braking Images10
Back to top Go down
Speedy23
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Speedy23

Engine Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Braking   Engine Braking Icon_minitime1Tue May 30, 2023 3:44 am

They said it's got a slipper clutch...😆
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

Engine Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Braking   Engine Braking Icon_minitime1Tue May 30, 2023 3:49 am

Luigi might have used bannana peels in the gearbox
Back to top Go down
LUCKY DAVE
Carlotto
Carlotto
LUCKY DAVE

Engine Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Braking   Engine Braking Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:56 am

Engine braking is adjustable in the settings. RTFM!!
Back to top Go down
Speedy23
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Speedy23

Engine Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Braking   Engine Braking Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:03 pm

LUCKY DAVE wrote:
Engine braking is adjustable in the settings. RTFM!!
Thank you for your profound observation.

I am, however, sadly aware that there is (supposedly) an adjustment to the engine braking available in the menus. You will, no doubt, also be aware that it cannot be adjusted independently of the setting governing the overall throttle response profile.

In practice, the difference to the engine braking available to the rider is imperceptible, so I wanted to know if that part of the map controlling the amount of fuel being injected on a trailing throttle could be adjusted separately to the bit governing the open throttle settings.

RTFM indeed.

lcjohnny and marcdavo like this post

Back to top Go down
grizzo
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
grizzo

Engine Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Braking   Engine Braking Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:41 pm

Interesting that the only issue you have so far is with the gearbox.

According to this French journalist they are made By Zong Shen in China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDx436s2oiQ

Put auto-translate and watch from 14:15.

You could circumvent the electronics and increase engine braking by lightening the flywheel.
Not sure how much work is involved but it will most certainly void the warranty (as will an unauthorised reflash).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Braking   Engine Braking Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Engine Braking
Page 1 of 1