GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Initial thoughts on the V100

Go down 
+8
Speedy23
Bart
jagger
Ekimyrf
lcjohnny
Lazlokovacs
bioman
LUCKY DAVE
12 posters
AuthorMessage
LUCKY DAVE
Carlotto
Carlotto
LUCKY DAVE

Initial thoughts on the V100 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:43 am

The V100 is a modernized GRiSO, as new as next week but in some ways the same.
With that in mind, and considering that (I'm guessing) a lot of us will buy one, having a forum for them hosted in this community just seems logical.
And I get that there are more pressing issues to address first.

Nobleswood likes this post

Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:54 pm

LUCKY DAVE wrote:
... (I'm guessing) a lot of us will buy one...

I am not so sure about that.  The Mandello seems more like a modernized Norge to me.  I think it would generate more excitement among GRiSO owners if Piaggio would come with a streetfighter version.

lcjohnny and Juan Roman like this post

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:21 am

agreed. an exciting looking machine, lighter than the GRiSO, with more power and a shorter wheelbase and without all the stupid tech would be amazing. They could do it with this new engine from the looks of it

Juan Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:19 am

Had a 50 mile testride and it was................ ok.

Compared to my GRiSO it has a quicker revving engine, lighter easier to use controls, better gearbox, better low speed handling and a more comfortable riding position.  But it lacked the grunty, creamy thrust of the GRiSO. Overall up to 60 it feels less powerful than GRiSO.  
I can't comment on the handing; the bike felt imprecise on sweeping turns and bumpy tarmac but the roads were damp in places .. it felt like the standard tyres lack feel - maybe they improve when hot?

What i was hoping for was the heart of the GRiSO with lighter, better laid out controls, better gearbox, modern handling: light steering at 10mph & still stable at 100mph, but what i got, felt like a Guzzified 950 Multistrada.
I guess that may be what Aprilia are aiming for, after all many people like Multistrada s but personally i find them bland to ride, lacking in sensation - might as well be a 4 cyl Sad.

And that is what i found the V100 - nice, easy to ride but a bit bland and not as shockingly grunty as i had hoped.

After a good test ride usually you get back on your own bike and notice its bad bits.  
This time I got back on the GRiSO and immediately it felt much more responsive, more 'alive' and more powerful.
And that 'it's a better bike' feeling lasted until i had to change gear and then slow to weave through traffic!  Laughing  Crying or Very sad  Laughing  jocolor .

My conclusion - the V100 has less of that 'Guzzi feeling' that I like. Less than even the small block bikes do!
I get a more visceral 'man and bike' feeling (includes woman, LBTQ+ etc)...............on a Royal Enfield Interceptor or a BNW1250RS.

Last edited by lcjohnny on Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Hagan, moto, Pawel Spoon and Stephen Lindsay like this post

Back to top Go down
Ekimyrf
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Ekimyrf

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Thu May 04, 2023 5:20 am

Take it out again in the dry and rag it

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
jagger
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
jagger

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Tue May 23, 2023 6:25 am

Were you in sport setting ?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Tue May 23, 2023 6:31 am

jagger wrote:

Only ever in 'Sport'.

But the moist roads meant I was looking for the mid range thrust you expect from a big block Guzzi rather than revving it out.

Sadly It did not provide that thrust.
Back to top Go down
Bart
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Bart

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Tue May 30, 2023 6:46 am

Initial thoughts on the V100 Img_5210
Back to top Go down
Speedy23
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Speedy23

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Tue May 30, 2023 9:35 am

lcjohnny wrote:
jagger wrote:

Only ever in 'Sport'.

But the moist roads meant I was looking for the mid range thrust you expect from a big block Guzzi rather than revving it out.

Sadly It did not provide that thrust.

Yes...."thrust" and "moist" used in the same paragraph.

What's not to like?

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Tue May 30, 2023 12:12 pm

LUCKY DAVE wrote:
The V100 is a modernized GRiSO, ....
NO!

It is a modern...
Initial thoughts on the V100 CX500B_rot

If you investigate what is necessary to adjust the valve clearance... affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Tue May 30, 2023 2:42 pm

Jeez. Not this again. It's not that hard. The hardest bit will be removing the plastic to drop the radiator if you need to change shims. I don't want a V100 but it isn't servicing the thing that puts me off.
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Tue May 30, 2023 3:01 pm

Initial thoughts on the V100 Img_8110
Initial thoughts on the V100 Img_8111

Out for a ride last weekend with a friend on the new V100 and Stelvio, no doubt the V100 is a beauty, we haven't swapped bikes yet, but I am curious to see how his V100 compares to my GRiSO eventually.
Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Wed May 31, 2023 2:00 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Jeez. Not this again. It's not that hard. The hardest bit will be removing the plastic to drop the radiator if you need to change shims. I don't want a V100 but it isn't servicing the thing that puts me off.

Checking maybe not but adjusting is a lot of work if the valve clearance is not within the tolerance - at least according to the workshop manual.
Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
LUCKY DAVE
Carlotto
Carlotto
LUCKY DAVE

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:50 am

Last week my buddy Marc (like me, a championship winning roadracer) and I took the GRiSO and Mandello s out for a long ride in the mountains, swapping back and forth.
The Mandello does everything better. It handles better, the wheelbase is three inches shorter so it changes direction much quicker without needing nervous steering geometry, the brakes are much better, the suspension is light years better, it's far more comfortable, it's more refined, and it's a bunch less effort to ride. With all that said it still feels like a Guzzi.
The only thing it isn't is faster in a roll on from 40-120 mph. After that it disappears in the distance.
Mind you, my GRiSO is properly piped and mapped with expensive custom suspension and sticky tires, the Mandello is bone stock other than installing dunlop roadsmart 4's.
Am I going to get rid of my GRiSO? No, I still like it for that vintage feel it has, but I have to say the Mandello is a home run.

lcjohnny, Nobleswood, PJPR01 and Gator Bite like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:12 pm

Interesting observations Dave and I think the last one is particularly pertinent, at least to me.

While I don't know that I'd use the term 'Vintage' to describe the GRiSO it's probably as good as any descriptor. To me it, and indeed the rest of the CARC series, do *feel* like I expect a motorbike to feel and behave. I'm not ignorant of truly 'Modern' motorcycles and I'm probably on the whole about a generation behind in my experience of the modern models with all of the electronic controls and interventions as the last one of those I rode for any length of time was probably a TV-4 back in about 2015!

Most modern bikes that I have swung a leg over have tended to be blindingly fast, handle and brake impeccably, can be set up to protect one from one's own over-enthusiasm and, at least to me, are anodyne to the point of being almost boring apart from that blinding speed factor!

Now I'm not saying that is bad and nor am I expecting everyone to agree with me. Vive La differance and all that but I think that, in a nutshell, is why I still prefer my GRiSO over every other bike I have ever owned or ridden.

Does that make me a fossil? Oh, probably. Laughing But it is what it is and although I remain interested in the onward march of development as I slither off into retirement I'm more a 'Casual observer' rather than an 'Active Participant'.

It's really nice to see so much positive press on the V100 though. Perhaps, at last, Guzzi will hit it out of the park! That would be a first for my lifetime! cheers

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
LUCKY DAVE
Carlotto
Carlotto
LUCKY DAVE

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:50 pm

I hear ya Pete.
I too like a direct feel on some of my bikes, our land speed supercharged Aprilia makes 198 hp at the wheel on pump gas with zero nannies, not even ABS. If you want to rev it over 7k you had damn well better have it pointed in the right direction, have lots of room in front of you, and have the rear brake covered because it will come over backwards on you in a blink in any gear.
I also like my Norton Commando which is as crude as it gets, and my street legal dirt tracker, which has had any and all civility hot rodded out of it.
Still, for daily riding in the mountains the modern electronics on my super nakeds are a good thing.
I have twelve bikes, most of them are the latest thing with advanced electronics. They work really well once you get used to them, and learn how to set them up. And let's face it, 175 hp at the wheel is safer with nannies.

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Svartipants
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Svartipants

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:29 pm

Visited a Piaggio/Indian dealership this afternoon. Finally saw, sat on, but did not ride, a V100. I think I’d get another GRiSO first. Any U.S. SE’s up for adoption out there? Eliminated the FTR from consideration, the Api ‘Toe-rag is too tall, and seriously thinking the V85TT is good enough for me for southern Utah back-roads… egads, I’m becoming an old man with Guzzis. Am I really so un-sexy?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Initial thoughts on the V100   Initial thoughts on the V100 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Initial thoughts on the V100
Page 1 of 1