GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

TomTom GPS power port

Go down 
+11
GuzziSteve
Matias
kiwi dave
PJPR01
Grisonut
sidrat
diedel
pauldaytona
thornhillgriso
beetle
rboe
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

TomTom GPS power port Empty
PostSubject: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Annoyed that I have not found a male mate to it so I can make use of it. Whacking it off seemed just wrong; after all it's a perfectly good part and as far as I know, it works too! So I took of the cover, pulled the sucker out and took pictures.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Plugged in the number as seen on the side into google. Bingo, on eBay! I ordered it! Should receive it in a couple weeks. Google had plenty of other links so this may be a solved mystery.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Omnis likes this post

Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Even cheaper (I was too excited and bit on the first one) coming from Lithuania.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:02 pm

I cut mine off, but added a connector so I can reattach if required (doubtful). It's now a fused USB adapter for all kinds of uses. Very Happy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:04 pm

Several buddies cut theirs off too. Over on WildGoose that was the common response to that little guy.

Naturally I didn't like it. Smile
Back to top Go down
thornhillgriso
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
thornhillgriso

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:20 am

I made a wire to connect the Tomtom plug to a miniUSB to power my Garmin.
Works well. Needed the male connector shown in this thread and elsewhere on this forum (I used the Mercedes part, but it doesn't matter).  Connected it to a Garmin wire that has the right-angle miniUSB that they use.  

The stock Tomtom plug outputs 12V and Tomtom steps it down in the GPS.  The Garmin cable I used had the step-down to 5V in the wire, so the output is 5V.  This is the more typical input for USB-powered devices.  

Otherwise it's just a matter of splicing wires and making sure the splice is waterproof with some heat shrink tubing.

Eric
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:57 pm

Well the original product was simply the same fitting as we have. Gah! I mis-read the photo showing two items, it was just a different view of the same thing.

But running the part number through Alibaba netted me five pair of male and female fitting along with their pins.

So much time has past I have forgotten why I wanted it!
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:58 pm

With the bit on the left side (the long tube) you can take advantage of the power tap without cutting it off.
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:02 pm

I searched once, here the result in german:

Weil niemand die Stecker auftreiben konnte hab ich mal gesucht, und da ist sie dann:

ich hab mal gesucht, es gibt die Stecker in Mercedes/BMW/Audi werkstatt, weil genuzt im auto's.
Die sind aus die Micro-Quadlock-System (MQS) von AMP/Tyco. Es gibt da variante, wir brauchen die A version

die gegenseite ist diese:
Das Stift-Gehäuse, Mercedes A2105404781, tyco 1--968733-6 und 1-967570-3  
Der weiße Steckereinsatz 965325-1 (männlich, vom Stecker an der Waschdüse)
pins (2x) A0345456528

Bei Mercedes gibt es mit nummer A2305400166 ein leitung von 15cm lange mit beidseitig ein Stecker, die kann mann nutzen und eine seite abschneiden. Etwa 15 euro

Teilenummer Mit A sind Mercedes

Viel info , und da gibt es noch bilder: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Aber mit diese nummer lasst sich mit google mehr finden
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:39 pm

And now I can't find it. :p Gah!

What I'm unsure about now, is the cable make up to the TomTom mount (I have a TomTom GPS, but not the Rider). After talking with a gentleman at the Datil Rally, I'm considering a Garmin Montana. Then I can use it with the 650L (assuming I can sort the stumble that I get at 3400+ rpm's, driving me around the bend!).

I think at one time I was looking at powering the heated grips through this port too.
Back to top Go down
diedel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
diedel

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:44 am

pauldaytona wrote:
I searched once, here the result in german:

Weil niemand die Stecker auftreiben konnte hab ich mal gesucht, und da ist sie dann:

ich hab mal gesucht, es gibt die Stecker in Mercedes/BMW/Audi werkstatt, weil genuzt im auto's.
Die sind aus die Micro-Quadlock-System (MQS) von AMP/Tyco. Es gibt da variante, wir brauchen die A version

die gegenseite ist diese:
Das Stift-Gehäuse, Mercedes A2105404781, tyco 1--968733-6 und 1-967570-3  
Der weiße Steckereinsatz 965325-1 (männlich, vom Stecker an der Waschdüse)
pins (2x) A0345456528

Bei Mercedes gibt es mit nummer A2305400166 ein leitung von 15cm lange mit beidseitig ein Stecker, die kann mann nutzen und eine seite abschneiden. Etwa 15 euro

Teilenummer Mit A sind Mercedes

Viel info , und da gibt es noch bilder: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Aber mit diese nummer lasst sich mit google mehr finden

Dank u wel Paul!
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:21 pm

Just cut mine off too, sounds like a common cut!
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:40 pm

Yep, mine gone too.
Got a Garmin hooked up to it...
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:28 pm

Reviving a bit of an old thread.

On the 2015 GRiSO, is this TomTom wire accessible without taking off the tank, and if so, any hints on where it's tucked in?

I'm going to mount a newly acquired TomTom Rider 550, debating between using this stock wire (if it exists) or going with the alternative setup from Fusepanel as indicated on another thread and just running the wire down the frame under the seat.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:28 pm

I don't remember the GRiSO having one. Definitely don't have the cabling for heated grips.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:32 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
I don't remember the GRiSO having one.  Definitely don't have the cabling for heated grips.

Edit: It is shown on Carl Alison's wiring diagram and the later factory version (item number 7).

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:58 pm

PJPR01 wrote:
Reviving a bit of an old thread.

On the 2015 GRiSO, is this TomTom wire accessible without taking off the tank, and if so, any hints on where it's tucked in?  

I'm going to mount a newly acquired TomTom Rider 550, debating between using this stock wire (if it exists) or going with the alternative setup from Fusepanel as indicated on another thread and just running the wire down the frame under the seat.  

Thanks!

Sorry, forgot to answer your question.

It's not under the seat, but somewhere where it would be accessible to be plugged into a handlebar mounted TomTom.

I think it's tied to the frame under the front part of the fuel tank.  You don't have to remove the tank completely, just unbolt it and slide it back to gain access.
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:31 pm

Super...thank you for checking! Another fun project coming up then this evening!

Much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:11 pm

IIRC, mine was tucked up amongst the loom near the ECU, or under the right wing.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:26 pm

Meant to post this a week ago, but too busy at work.

Thanks again Beetle and Kiwi Dave...found it all and got the new Tom Tom installed, the bugger was tucked in well inside, had to get the tank off to be able to reach everything but finally fished it out from the RHS and moved it over to the LHS!  TomTom Rider 550 attached on a nice RAM mount...easy disconnect for security as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]IMG_0835 by PJPR01, on Flickr

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]IMG_0834 by PJPR01, on Flickr

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]IMG_1039 by PJPR01, on Flickr

This was the trick to use the wire adapter below to avoid cutting the original plug from the Guzzi side - thanks for the tips buried in these GPS threads...this saved a bit of splicing, keeps the connection nice and original and water tight!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]IMG_1042 by PJPR01, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:58 am

Hi everyone,

I am about to install a Quad-Lock mobile support in my bike, and will connect the usb unit to the socket shown in this thread (I am just waiting for the male plug to arrive).
So, I would appreciate if you guys that already went through the process could help me with the following questions:
- Is the polarity importante in this connection?
- In case yes, can you tell me if the "+" contact is on the left or right in the picture below?

Many thanks
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:05 am

Don't you know how to use a meter? Even a wire & lite bulb will tell you.
Just an idea.
Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:04 pm

Hi Steve,
I don't have a meter, but I can try that bulb test, yeah.
So, one pole of the bulb conected to a metal part of the bike, and the other pole testing the two contacts on that socket.
I f I understood right what was said in the thread, the test must be done with the engine running, right?
Back to top Go down
JC_Guz89
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
JC_Guz89

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:08 am

Matias wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am about to install a Quad-Lock mobile support in my bike, and will connect the usb unit to the socket shown in this thread (I am just waiting for the male plug to arrive).
So, I would appreciate if you guys that already went through the process could help me with the following questions:
- Is the polarity importante in this connection?
- In case yes, can you tell me if the "+" contact is on the left or right in the picture below?

Many thanks

If you pull back the rubber cover from the back of the connector, you will see 1 is a yellow/black wire and 2 is a blue wire.
According to the wiring diagram I have seen online, the '+' wire is the yellow/black and the blue wire is the ground.

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
Matias
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Matias

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:37 am

Thanks JC, that helps.

JC_Guz89 likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:11 am

Matias,
There is only power to the plug when the bike is running. I cut the end off mine and put a usb connector in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TomTom GPS power port   TomTom GPS power port Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

TomTom GPS power port
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next